CN Tower (I know, I know)

Discussion in 'General Critical Analysis' started by wordxcore, Jul 20, 2007.

1. wordxcore

wordxcore TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It's been done a million times, but when I was downtown last night it changed colours and I couldn't resist taking the photo.

No photoshop here!
    (I hope the image isn't too big)

[​IMG]

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    too many people posting toronto images! Have to get back there!

3. wordxcore

wordxcore TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well how about some critique...

4. nomade

nomade TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Critique...

It's an informative picture, so yeah I got it, what's left is the final touch, and it's not there, there are spots or a stain.

Personally I don't like the CN tower, I think it's nice at night among other buildings, I like the sky dome, but other than that, it's a pleasure to be up there, but not a subject for a photograph, not alone.

5. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sorry, got carried away since it was Toronto... actually, did not realise this was in the critique forum (i usually just look at "new posts").

OK, anyway, I think the main ingredient in this one are the clear and strong contrasty colours. since everything but the light is pitch black, the image is kept rather simple without any distracting elements. almost like an abstract.

the tower is almost centered horizontally. but just almost. it seems a bit off to the right, which bothers me. I'd prefer it either dead centre or really off-centre.

THe image is a bit tight with its top margin, not much padding space around the very top of the tower. gives me a slight off-balance impression.

there is something not really pitch-black in the bottom left corner which distracts me alot ... and something less pronounced in the lower right area of the image.
    If your monitor does not display this, increase the contrast in the image and you will see it.

ok, this was no proper or formal analysis, but some of my first impressions.

8. meotter

meotter TPF Noob!

i find it to be a particularly unremarkable photo, the image is at least clean in terms of the lights not being blurred at all, but as previously mentioned there is a huge splotch (possibly water on the lens?) on the right side of the image and there is a lot of dead space in the photo that doesn't accomplish anything.

perhaps a crop that would eliminate a lot of the dead space or a slightly longer exposure that would reveal more of the towers shape? i think taking this image at dusk would give the image a slightly more interesting composition. blue is more interesting than black in this case.