Pirate Neilsouth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
pirateneilsouth.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
3772020560_5dfcc5a1bb_o.jpg

The history of Herne Bay and its piers are inseparable. Until the first pier was built in 1831 the town barely existed, except for a few fishermen's cottages and as a place for sea bathing. Since then, the town's fortunes have been inextricably linked with those of its pier.

The Great War saw the temporary suspension of steamer services, entertainments and the tramcars being used as shelters. Normal service resumed after the conflict, with the old tramcars eventually being replaced by a petro-electric tramcar built at Strode Engineering Works in Herne. The wooden theatre at the entrance to the Pier which had been retained from the second Herne Bay Pier was destroyed by fire in 1928.

In 1948 Herne Bay experienced another terrible storm, equal to that of 1897. Five years later, in 1953 the east coast of Britain took a terrible battering in February and the seafront and its properties were flooded. Ten years later, in the terrible winter of 1963, the sea froze. The pier which had stood for almost seventy years was beaten by the elements and declared unsafe. It closed in 1968. The Grand Pavilion remained open at the shoreward end but was destroyed by fire in 1970, whilst work was being carried out on the pier entrance. A new sports and leisure centre, officially opened by the Rt. Hon. Sir Edward Heath on 5 September 1976, has replaced the pavilion.

Local anglers were among campaigners pressing for the pier neck to be restored, but a severe storm on 11 January 1978 ended all speculation as the majority of the pier neck collapsed.

Since then the Pier head has been left isolated at sea, a poignant reminder to residents and visitors of Herne Bay's past glories. Local inhabitants, fishermen and tourists alike have never let go of the idea of the Herne Bay Pier being rebuilt to its original glory. In spring 2009 Canterbury City Council agreed to the formation of the Herne Bay Pier Trust. The main objective of the Trust is the preservation, renovation, reconstruction and enhancement of Herne Bay Pier. Canterbury City Council does not have the funding for such a project, so it is up to independent and possibly European Funding to see this beautiful example of Victorian engineering brought back to its original glory...

Very nice. How do you find these places to photograph? Do you live close to them or do you have to travel? I live in the middle of the prairies, (not that the prairies are bad) where the sites are a little different than the ones you take photos of. Your shots make me want to travel to England.

Very nice. How do you find these places to photograph? Do you live close to them or do you have to travel? I live in the middle of the prairies, (not that the prairies are bad) where the sites are a little different than the ones you take photos of. Your shots make me want to travel to England.

I live close to the ones in herne bay , canterbury however any further sites further out i usually go back .Because i've driven past or someone else has seen a good location for me to visit.

Glad you like it! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back