cobbled 4x5 baush & Lomb

Sorry.....you have it all.

I was thinking of a ball and socket arrangement between the 1x2 and the hardboard....with a set screw. ??????

The complete set of movements is Rise/fall, shift (left/right), Swing (clockwise/counterclockwise), and tilt (up/down). Rise/fall and shift let you correct perspective (converging lines)--or, say, take a photograph of a mirror without the camera being in the reflection. Swing and tilt change the plane of focus, so you can have flowers in the foreground and mountains in the background (for instance) both in focus, without having to use a very small aperture. These are some of the main reasons I'm building my view camera... I plan to play with them a lot.

well im gonna have half of them.. left and right swing up and down tilt. The other two will have to wait for a while. However i do still have a metal frame with broken struts to do. Maybe for it I will add more movement.

I have decided to go with the 2x3 film back on this one.

Thanks for an explaination, I've never fooled with a sheet film camera, but always wanted to know. Flowers and mountains in focus....wow.

Does my suggestion regarding a ball and socket for mysteryscribe seem workable?

I am sure there are no more than three or four people who have any interest in view camera but I thought I would show you the progress since the first gutted polaroid.
image7hw6.jpg

image8rl9.jpg

The lens board has been installed. The back is ready for the window sash moulding that makes it useable for a film holder. Then it is buy a lens and paint it or cover it haven't decided which, but I do think I'm going to like it. The swing and tilt is working just like I expected. I need to buy some wing nuts to replace the bolts otherwise that part is completed.

It seems to be an interesting camera.

Looks cool.....

From your initial diagram, you had the body pivoting, this one you have the lens pivoting on both axis’s. And you have the pivot points higher up on the lens.??? Do these differences have an effect on focusing?

I must have screwed up the diagram this is what I had in mind all along a yoke holding the lens that pivots and then tilts forward. I have a lens on the way for it but with my test lens it works great. Even focuses to about a foot without any extra glass.

This is going to be a fun camera I think. I have an ansco camera coming that has a anastigmat 7.7 lens similiar to the one I just put on the 4x5 build. This on is going to be 2x3 and should be fun to shoot. it will go on a permanent tripod.

Im looking forward to it. The back will be finished tomorrow I expect.

I misinterpreted the diagram.....at first look see, it seemed that the body was going to pivot....sorry.

Charlie, is the axis of your lensboard tilt through the top of the lensboard, rather than through the center of the lens? If it is, then I think it might cause some focus difficulties when you go to use tilt due to the lens getting closer to or farther from the film plane.

Let us know how this works out, because I'm still working on my view camera, and I, at least, and very keen to know how it works for you!

I would think that any tilt or even swing would change the distance to the film plane at some part of the lens but it should be a very very small distance.

I stuck a polaroid roll film lens on it with the shutter wedged open and it seems to be fine. I won't know till i shoot it a few times. Yes the tilt is from the top it might create a few more millimeters of movement on the bottom standard, since the lens will swing in but i also have back tilt.

I took what you said to heart about the rise and fall. I can stick a few washers under the yoke to get rise, fall I doubt that I can get on this prototype but next time I will put the lens track under the 1x2 and a longer screw in the yoke with a bolt treaded above the track so that I can adjust the rise and fall by raising and lowering the yoke.

I wonder how much shift one needs on a view. I can always just make the groove wider and use a block under the yoke to lock it in place no matter where on the track it is. I widened the track a little so I have a small amount of shift.

by the way the back is finished. I have purchased a lens on ebay, of course it is still attached to a broken down camera lol. It is about a 129 mm 7.7 ansco anastigmat. I think that is about the minimum quality I can stand. It only cost about $9.50 shipping included. It also has the movable front element.

With the polaroid lens I stuck on to test it, I could get down to about a foot, with that lens I should be able to get it down to inches. I truly versitile camera. I am looking forward to getting the lens and finishing it up. Now I need to pick up a cheap wooden tripod, though there is no such thing, and a black cloth of course.

Im going to try to use a lightly sanded bit of plastic as a focus screen. If not i'll go back to my trust foggy plastic cd envelope.

I hope by the end of the week to be shooting it. I'll stick some pics of the camera and how it does when it is complete. This is what it looks like a this stage of completion
image9io7.jpg

image10zn8.jpg

The body needs one more coat of paint and the lens board has to be done completely. I'm thinking that faux brown wood color I do so poorly. lol

mysteryscribe said:
I would think that any tilt or even swing would change the distance to the film plane at some part of the lens but it should be a very very small distance.

I stuck a polaroid roll film lens on it with the shutter wedged open and it seems to be fine. I won't know till i shoot it a few times. Yes the tilt is from the top it might create a few more millimeters of movement on the bottom standard, since the lens will swing in but i also have back tilt.

You're right, tilt and swing do indeed alter the distance from lens to film plane, but if the axis of tilt/swing intersects the optical axis, then the effect will be symmetrical. Essentially, the top half of the lens moves closer to get the mountains in focus, while the bottom half of the lens moves farther away to get the flowers in focus. If the tilt/swing axis is off-center, (ie at the top of the lens board) then the effect won't be symmetrical.

I suppose the way to get around this is to first focus on the mountains, make a measurement, then focus on the flowers and make another measurement, then average the two and adjust the tilt, then the bellows extension for focus. It'd be a little more involved, and probably require a bunch of tweaking, but it shouldn't be maddeningly difficult. Plus, since you shoot retro, a little bit of soft-focus probably won't be objectionable.

This brought something to mind for me... the tilt on my view camera design is centered on the opitcal axis, regardless of rise or fall; however, with any degree of shift, the swing won't be. That could be interesting... I may have to adjust my design.

Well wouldnt it depend again on how much tilt you had you can only get a little distance seperation between them. Anyway this is all guess till i get it ready to go. As soon as the lens comes I'll give it a shot.

I still have a bunch of cameras around that I need to shoot to show you guys. I'm gonna make pictures of the roll film conversions but not shoot them. Too much trouble. One of the roll film is what I did the retro wedding shots with. It has a great lens on it.

Anyway glad you are following along on the build. I think I am really going to like this camera should have a lot of tinkering per shot which I am really beginning to enjoy. Not sure I'm Gonna enjoy the summer heat under the black cloth. I might try to go with a small focusing hood. Maybe mark off infinity focus on the lens track. Or install a stop like they do on the graflex.

Im still deciding if I want to go with interchangable lens boards. That's an interesting decission as well as the rest.

Ps. Im shocked at how quiet terri is.... I expected her to at least say something. LOL you think i should stop flirting with her.

I'm not quiet. :mrgreen: I'm what you call observing this from a distance, mainly cause I really don't have a clue what your'e doing.....

...but I do like reading the updates and seeing the progress. I am actually excited to see the first shots from this beast!

And James, that goes for you, too. I'm looking forward to seeing the view camera when you get it all together.

Y'all are freaks, and I love it.

Carry on. :popcorn:

Most reactions

Back