Cockpit Night Photo

ORDflyer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took the other day a photo at night in the cockpit. It was my first time doing this. What I wanted to do is capture part of the cockpit and the stars. My camera is a Sony A6300 with a 12mm lens and f2.0.

What I did realize because of the tight environment I am working in, it was impossible for me to get the cockpit and the stars in focus. Either I got the cockpit in focus and not the stars or vice-versa.

How would you tackle this photo? Would you do focus stacking?

Thank you in advance!

Two photos.. one of the cockpit and one of the stars? Combine in post?

Is that f/2.0 fixed? I would think that if you could run a longer exposure at closer to f/10 or something that it would help keep everything in focus at once. I bet exposing for the stars and cockpit in the same shot is pretty tricky though...

Will the airplane be in the air or on the ground?
A small private prop plane, a commercial airliner, or something in between?
What lens focal length?

I do not think this is practical; Getting everything in focus is probably the least of your worries. Getting the instrument panel and the stars to fit in one exposure will be nearly impossible. You'll have no choice but to expose for the sky in a second exposure.

That's the beauty of photography. What you see ain't necessarily real. Nor is it necessarily wrong.

Last edited:
Until we can get more than 64pixels on an avalanche array, 14bit is as good as it's going to get, and 12bit is as good as what most of us have available.

OP would need 32-bit end to end to make this work with a single exposure.

... someday.

Most reactions

Back