cokin filter help

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by George W. Bush, Sep 23, 2004.

1. George W. Bush

George W. Bush TPF Noob!

Hey, I just bought a roll of Ilford SFX film and the gel that they sell for it. I bought a cokin gel holder to use with it. I don't have my camera on me right now so I have yet to try it out. Before I do I have two questions I was hoping someone could help me with. Do I need a cokin filter holder in order to use the gel holder? and also the SFX gel seems very dark. Will I need to overexpose the picture everytime I use the gel? and if so by how much? Thanks for the help.

George

2. George W. Bush

George W. Bush TPF Noob!

bump!

someone has to know the answer to this? anyone?

3. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dubya... We need to know what kind of filter is your Cokin gel filter. They make many. From the sounds of it, it's possible you have a Neutral Density. Does it have a packaging or a case? If so, does it say on any of them what it is?

The gel that they use with it. Hmm... Can't think what this might refer to. Is it the Cokin filter itself?

As for holders, yes you do need a Cokin holder to be able to use your square gel filter(s).

Hope this helps.

John F. Kerry :lol:

4. George W. Bush

George W. Bush TPF Noob!

well I got a ring adapter and a filter holder to use with the gel holder filter I got, but I still am unsure about correct exposure compensation with the gel I got. The gel I have is made by Ilford and is specifically made for use with the SFX film. It is a very deep red gel. So since it is so dark I was wondering how much I will have to overexpose the image to compensate for the gel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

George

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are using a camera with a built-in meter...you don't have to compensate for the filter at all. Since the camera is already looking through the filter...it's meter reading will already be compensated.

You only have to figure in the filter compensation if you are using a separate light meter.

6. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. George W. Bush

George W. Bush TPF Noob!

thanks for the help