Cokin Infrared & Polarizing filters

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by AUZambo, Oct 27, 2007.

1. AUZambo

AUZambo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a circular (hoya I believe) polarizer for my most commonly used lens (62mm). However, I have a couple of other lenses it doesn't fit and I was wondering if the Cokin linear polarizers would be a better option than step down rings.

Also, would a circular IR filter work better than the cokin rectangular ones? I'm trying to finish up my X-mas list and was wondering if I should go with the less expensive Cokin version of the IR filter or the screw on type. The cokin one must be a relatively new filter because the only ones I can find on the internet are in other countries.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that you are referring to round and square/rectangular filters? Circular and linear have a specific meaning for polarizers: a circular polarizer is a polarizer followed by a depolarizer (in simple terms) so that light emerges unpolarized. A linear polarizer is just a polarizer, and light emerges polarized. A linear polarizer behaves in the same way no matter which side you look through. A circular polarizer only works one way round.

Whether it would be better to use a square system or step-up rings would depend on how many different sizes you needed, whether or not you had any lenses with a filter thread larger than 62 mm, how many other filters you are likely to get, the ease with which you can use effective lens shades with each alternative etc.

If you get a square system with a compendium shade you will have something that is very versatile, though the initial cost can be high.

Square infrared filters are also available from Lee, in flexible polyester rather than rigid resin. One of the important things about an IR filter is that it is preferable that there is no light leak between the filter and the lens. This is easy to achieve with round screw-in filters, but may require some extra material around a square filter holder. I use Lee infrared filters, as well as round screw-in ones. They are cheap, and versatile. You can use them cut to fit behind a plain UV filter, or attached to the back of the lens, or covering the film gate.

Best,
    Helen