cold weather and camera effects

brandonvoges

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.native411.com
Was searching around and didn't really find any info on specific do's and don'ts on cameras (digital or traditional) and cold weather.

The thing is, I try to take my camera with me everywhere I go. I usually just put my camera case in the trunk of my car, but this is a problem when my car sits outside in the cold for an extended length of time for whatever reason.

What damage (if any) will I do to my camera (canon 10d), if its sitting in my trunk in sub zero temps for any length of time?

any general rules of thumb i should follow?

Any advice is always appreciated...hope everyone has a swell turkeyday. gobble gobble.

brandon

In the instruction manual or on the manufacturer's website you will find the minimum and maximum safe operating temperatures.

I don't know about digital cams, but extreme cold puts a whammy on most of my vintage cameras because it gums up the lube.

Battery life will be a big issue, unless you keep the batteries with you (someplace warmer than your trunk).

Assuming you aren't below the recommended min operating temp you should be ok shooting outside.

Shooting inside you very well may need to let the camera acclimate to the warmer temps so you don't get lens fogging. Not sure what other issues you might face. Was me, I'd try real hard not to leave it in the trunk. :wink:

Most reactions

Back