Cold weather photgraphy

QMaze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how a digital SLR performs in cold weather, below freezing.

My point and shoot camera barely works and want to upgrade to a digital SLR but this is a concern of mine since I want to shoot all year.

Maybe there are some tips and tricks for winter shooting.

Thank you.

The problem is with the batteries...they lose power very quickly in cold weather. So carry a few batteries and keep the spares close to your body.

Also, be careful about condensation. When you take a cold camera out of the cold and into a warm car/house....condensation will form inside & outside of the camera. To avoid this, put the camera in a sealed plastic bag before you take it inside. Or at least leave it in a camera bag and let it warm up gradually before you open the bag inside the house.

Other than that...it should be OK for winter in most places. Obviously really cold temps are not good for anything. The screen is LCD so it could freeze...and the shutter lubricant could get gummy....but that would have to be really cold.

I recently saw a custom made cable which allows you to place the battery on your body keeping it warm

This is my second winter shooting with the D-70 and I have had no problems with shooting in the cold. I do keep the camera under my coat when not in use but often walk around with it out for a half hour at a time. The D-70 batteries are great and I've never had a problem with them even when I use the flash a lot. My only worry is condensation.

Eric

Big Mike said:
The problem is with the batteries...they lose power very quickly in cold weather. So carry a few batteries and keep the spares close to your body.

Also, be careful about condensation. When you take a cold camera out of the cold and into a warm car/house....condensation will form inside & outside of the camera. To avoid this, put the camera in a sealed plastic bag before you take it inside. Or at least leave it in a camera bag and let it warm up gradually before you open the bag inside the house.

Other than that...it should be OK for winter in most places. Obviously really cold temps are not good for anything. The screen is LCD so it could freeze...and the shutter lubricant could get gummy....but that would have to be really cold.

I regularly get 500+ shots out of my 20d in -10F weather.

BadRotation said:
I regularly get 500+ shots out of my 20d in -10F weather.

Good to know. I've only had my 20D for 7 months or so...and I've yet to take it outside in the cold winter.

Thank you all, lots of excellent comments and tips. I wondered about the condensation because I experience a bit of that when I put my warm eye on the eyecups of my binoculars and they steam up from the heat.

Like mentioned in start post my point and shoot camera has a bit of a problem with the zoom mechanism in winter, kinda slow.

I have been wanting to get a Nikon D1 Pro but I am now concentrating on the Canon 10D, seems to be a good choice to move into the D SLR.

Definately will post back when I get a new camera.

:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back