Collectible camera question of the week.

What was the very first small focal plane SLR camera and when was it produced? (Hint: key word is small)

Hmm... Another sleeper.

It was the Exakta A, also known as the Original. Introduced in 1933, was designed for 8 exposures (4x6.5cm) on 127 film and had a focal plane shutter with speeds from 1/25 to 1/1000, although some rare models had slow speeds as well (1-2 seconds). It had a waist level finder and it came in black paint. Lens was either a Tessar or an Exaktar.

just going back to the Pentax Auto 110, they're a great little camera and here in Australia the film is really easy to get... Agfa stuff seems to cost 6:50 aus dollars a 24 and if you're really clever you could reload one of the cartridges with black and white as B+W 110 film is out of production. 110 film in colour is now still produced by Agfa and Kodak, good luck!

stingray said:
just going back to the Pentax Auto 110, they're a great little camera and here in Australia the film is really easy to get... Agfa stuff seems to cost 6:50 aus dollars a 24 and if you're really clever you could reload one of the cartridges with black and white as B+W 110 film is out of production. 110 film in colour is now still produced by Agfa and Kodak, good luck!

There are some film cutters which will cut any 35mm film (from a cartridge or bulk) into 110 film:

Film_Slitter

That should enable you to load your own B/W film into 110 cassettes. Fuji also makes a great 110 color film (100ASA).

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
one more question about the auto 110, the lens caps for the little lenses don't stay in, i.e. they're just round plsatic billets... do you know of a place that would sell clip caps for lenses that small?

stingray said:
one more question about the auto 110, the lens caps for the little lenses don't stay in, i.e. they're just round plsatic billets... do you know of a place that would sell clip caps for lenses that small?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that but I'll forward a link here, feel free to e-mail with these guys, they're super nice:

110_Resources

Good luck.

What was the first autofocus SLR?

MaxBloom said:
What was the first autofocus SLR?

I believe it was the Pentax ME-F in 1981, followed later by a much more successful Minolta 7000.

Correct! The ME-F's are quite cheap to come by these days. They look just like ME Super's. However everyone says the autofocus mechanism is absolutely terrible.

What element (think periodic table) made the daguerrotype so health-hazardous to develop?

...okay not a camera question per se, but i wanna see if anyone knows the answer.

It must have been the salts of the Hg (hydrargyrum-translated Liquid Silver), also known as Mercury. It's deemed to release toxic gasses but in my youth I remember playing with this stuff in my palms, even at the Chemistry lab.

But... (I forgot) before Hg, Daguerre used Iodine (Symbol I, name came from the Greek Iodes, meaning violet) which is known to be poisonous. However, that process was soon discarded in favor of Mercury salts.

mercury is it. you're un-stump-able

Mitica100 said:
It must have been the salts of the Hg (hydrargyrum-translated Liquid Silver), also known as Mercury. It's deemed to release toxic gasses but in my youth I remember playing with this stuff in my palms, even at the Chemistry lab.
o gawd...i remember playing with that stuff too:confused: :crazy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back