Collecting 35mm film slides.

DougGrigg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.douggrigg.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've recently started collecting 35mm slides from ebay and the likes, it's really interesting to see views and perspectives that others had access to that perhaps I or you wouldn't.
I've not seen a thread or anything related to "found photography" Obviously it is a relatively a new genre and that, but here's the thread!

Here is a few images from what I have collected. Enjoy, there are some real gems.

$img1.jpg$img2.jpg$img036.jpg$img081.jpg$img083.jpg

Some interesting photos. The only found film I've found in a camera so far wasn't worth finding! lol or getting developed for that matter.

Working in photo labs all my career I have obtained well over 1 million 35 mm slides in my collection from customers that throw them away. All from the 1940's to the 1980's. 90% are travel slides. I just got a big batch from a church that closed down. When the owners died the kids throw everything away. I found them beside a dumpster. A lot is of St. Louis in the 60's and 70's.
By far the best was a little old lady came into the shop and got a few slides made into prints. She then asked me if I would dispose of the rest of her slides. I said sure (they went straight to my car). There were over 3000 slides, all Kodachrome, photos of her and her husband's travels in Europe during the 1950's.
I also have glass plates and cabinet cards. I collect cabinet cards for the photographer's studio name on the back.

Working in photo labs all my career I have obtained well over 1 million 35 mm slides in my collection from customers that throw them away. All from the 1940's to the 1980's. 90% are travel slides. I just got a big batch from a church that closed down. When the owners died the kids throw everything away. I found them beside a dumpster. A lot is of St. Louis in the 60's and 70's. By far the best was a little old lady came into the shop and got a few slides made into prints. She then asked me if I would dispose of the rest of her slides. I said sure (they went straight to my car). There were over 3000 slides, all Kodachrome, photos of her and her husband's travels in Europe during the 1950's. I also have glass plates and cabinet cards. I collect cabinet cards for the photographer's studio name on the back.

That's really cool. I lost tons of my slides when I left a broken relationship previously. I'm only left with about 10(which I just found) I just send them to be converted to digital copies :D

webestang64! thats incredible! over a mill?! I'm currently doing a project on pools and similar stuff. I have just over 3,000 now and always looking to buy more! if you're ever interested to connect I'm more than happy to buy some off you or trade if you collect certain themes! :) I'd love to see what types of images you have! you could totally make a book out of them!

webestang64! thats incredible! over a mill?! I'm currently doing a project on pools and similar stuff. I have just over 3,000 now and always looking to buy more! if you're ever interested to connect I'm more than happy to buy some off you or trade if you collect certain themes! :) I'd love to see what types of images you have! you could totally make a book out of them!

I've scanned some, but it's very time consuming. After my buddy and I get our gallery/rent-able darkroom up and running, I'm going to trade darkroom time for scanning. I figure I can get a college student to help out.

absolutely! sounds like a special project to me! I would of loved to scan loads of those! I'm currently scanning through mine on an epson v700 perfection. its perfect for 35mm slides! technology is immense!

absolutely! sounds like a special project to me! I would of loved to scan loads of those! I'm currently scanning through mine on an epson v700 perfection. its perfect for 35mm slides! technology is immense!

I've got that scanner also, Epson makes good stuff, I use an Epson XL10000 11"x17" scanner at work.......I just sold my Nikon Coolscan 9000 for $2500......I needed funds for a Ford Mustang I am restoring. I'll more than likely get another Nikon scanner again later.

One of you two could be the person to find the next Vivian Meier! :)

That would be so cool to find another Viv............her shots of the streets of Chicago are mesmerizing.......!

They really are. She was very talented, and her hit rate seemed to be just crazy high, too.

viv is absolutely amazing! I can only wish I'll find another! :)

- Webestang64, I may be setting up "35mmSlideCollective" with my local friend who also collects slides, We're going to upload images of these collected slides on a database(online website, a tumblr or something) to display and archive all these slides gradually. If you're interested we can all work together to link up some type of blog or site! (obviously all holding the rights together as a collective) etc. !

viv is absolutely amazing! I can only wish I'll find another! :)

- Webestang64, I may be setting up "35mmSlideCollective" with my local friend who also collects slides, We're going to upload images of these collected slides on a database(online website, a tumblr or something) to display and archive all these slides gradually. If you're interested we can all work together to link up some type of blog or site! (obviously all holding the rights together as a collective) etc. !

Sounds interesting. LMK what you come up with.

Most reactions

Back