Collecting payment

I think you have given them more than enough chances to touch base with you to explain why they are late in paying...whether it be a job loss or other issues. You have been unstanding and can't force information out of them.

Everything in writting for sure. I would take the time to send them a registered letter requesting payment by x date, as per the contract (include copy if need be). Registered letters here are held very high in court.

If they don't respond by the payment date, off to court. Really, I think you have given them ample opportunity and have played the nice guy role.

Hey Pete,
Sorry about the client.

The way I've always structured it is this:

1/3 down (this gives me leeway for the shoot itself)
The rest is due "contractually" 14 days before the wedding. This freaks some people out, especially when they hear news reports, one after another of brides being ripped off by Craigslister types. If they have a problem with that, I tell them that they can pay me the day of the wedding, and I smilingly say, "I'm not worried, I will be holding the photos hostage until I am paid in full".
I love ya Pete, and you have always been a mentor to me, so I'm gonna say it like it is:
When people shot film, you paid when you gave proofs. Not anymore. Now you are paid upfront. Why? Because now YOU are the lab, and there is a crapload of work that goes into those photos BY YOU. I wouldn't touch a client's photos until I was paid in full. With so many people doing full res discs, you can't do it the way you used to.

People overspend on their weddings. I've done weddings that people could have paid off a house. Really. They get in over their heads. It's credit this and credit that, and then they want to play games with you. They don't wait to take a bite out of their cake before they decide to pay for it. They don't hold out on the venue, the band or the florist. Why should you wait around for their "test"?

Because if you do wait, and the couple sees the credit card statements for all the wacky stuff they bought ended up being more that the $40 grand they put aside, guess who is gonna get stuck out?

Then you get into the whole thing of, "I only like 1/2 of the photos" thing. Then they only want to give you half. Like every damn photo you took has a dollar amount attached. You are damned if you take a photo of the snacks, and damned if you don't.

So just don't get into that trap. I've known you for many years and your work is top notch. Demand what you are worth, my brotha! They don't set the rules, YOU do.

Well... I heard from the groom. It turns out that the confusion on their side was WHO was going to pay: them or her folks.

He apologized, scheduled a time and came in with cash.

I'm not really sure where it all broke down, but it seems as time passed, it turned into a blinking contest.

-Pete

I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.

I would NEVER wait until after a wedding to receive payment, they have to pay a 30% deposit when signing contract to confirm the date and then the remainder must be paid a week before the date of the wedding in order for me to show up.

If you don't hear from them, I would consider legal action.

for 25 %, i will get your money :lol:

Glad it worked out sweetie. BTW loved talking to you!

Most reactions

Back