College Photographer

Chillaxed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, i have a Sony A200-dSLR and the stock take good pictures but i love depth of field. the more DOF the better. so i'm looking for a lens that will give me the most possible, it doesn't have to be a zoom lens, i looked at a 55mm macro lens that really didn't do "macro" very well and just seemed like a normal lens. i had to move up to 110mm before i could get close to anything.

anyhow, could anybody suggest lenses for me? and show some examples of what kind of pictures they take? i'd also like to get some filters for my lenses, for example i want to learn to take pictures like the movie "children of men"

so just suggest macro, non-macro, and filters, and i'll see what i like.

do you want a super deep depth of feild or a very shallow one?

any lens should give you deep DOF to get shallower DOF get the fastest lens you can. 50 f1.4 should give you super shallow DOF.

very shallow i think (where everything is blurred behind the object in focus)

I think you need to be a little more focused in what you are asking for from the lens. There is a whole host of lenses that will do as you ask - they range from under 50mm all the way up to several 100mm and in price from $10s to $1000s.
To help you we really need to know 2 things
1) budget - how much are you willing to spend
2) use of the lens - or rather subject. You hint at macro, but also at portrate work. Most 100mm/105mm macro prime (single focal lenght - no zoom) lenses will do both macro work and portrate work well.

Minolta 58mm F1.2

a700_minolta58.jpg

I think you need to be a little more focused in what you are asking for from the lens. There is a whole host of lenses that will do as you ask - they range from under 50mm all the way up to several 100mm and in price from $10s to $1000s.
To help you we really need to know 2 things
1) budget - how much are you willing to spend
2) use of the lens - or rather subject. You hint at macro, but also at portrate work. Most 100mm/105mm macro prime (single focal lenght - no zoom) lenses will do both macro work and portrate work well.

yeah that is what i'm getting at, but i'd like something cheaper, i know those are over 200-300$

but a shorter prime lens sounds pretty good.

yeah that is what i'm getting at, but i'd like something cheaper, i know those are over 200-300$

but a shorter prime lens sounds pretty good.

You're going to have to resolve your budget to your needs. What you are asking for is a specialized lens. You need to be ready to spend north of $500.

Most reactions

Back