Color -> B/W ~ Would this work?

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
I have some color images that I want printed to black and white. I had some luck today at the darkroom with some of them, but I know that I won't be able to get others to work right. So I thought maybe I could use the scanned image I have, convert to b/w, convert to negative, then have printed on a transparency to use as a contact negative. Thoughts?

I guess the resolution will be a big issue, and since I am not into digital, I honestly don't understand how it works. The image is grainy anyway, so I am not too concerned about that, and it would be ok even if it got a little grainier. The original scan I have is 623x510 pixels. I would like the final image to be about 8 x 7" or something like that, which seems to work around 72 resolution.

... or it just occurred to me, I could go for a higher resolution, say to make it fit in a 120 negative carrier, instead of contact.

Is any of this going to work? I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Instaed of printing a negative image onto transperency print it as a b&w and take a macro shot to get your negative. The image can be enlarged and the grainy texture removed also before printing to b&w.
I hope I'm on the right track here. :)

oriecat;

yep, it will work. when i run out of negative sheets for my alt process work, i use transparencies. since my alt process work is all contact, i have not tried a transparency in an enlarger and i would probably be hesitant to do it. enlargers get very hot and transparencies will melt or ripple in extreme heat. transparencies don't have a 'heat' rating, just a machine rating. color laser printers put out more heat than other printers, so if you want to try the enlarger route, using a transparency made for them may be a good try. you could try both contact and enlarging transparency.

or use http://www.kodak.com/global/en/prof...alureSelectRcPaper.jhtml?id=0.3.8.26.38&lc=en

"Panchromatic, developer-incorporated, projection-speed paper designed for making black-and-white enlargements (or contact prints with reduced illumination) from color negatives."

Most reactions

Back