manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just felt like sharing.

I've been very annoyed at this Samsung panel. I don't know who is making these cheap panels lately, but they're showing up in a lot of monitors and they are ridiculously blue.

Now rather stupidly I've been "color correcting" this panel by eye using Adobe Gamma and not using the Spyder I had in the closet in my office. I think of part of me just wanted to hope a minor tweak would be all it needed and I wouldn't feel like I got ripped off when I bought the stupid thing. :mrgreen:

So I finally gave up this morning and broke out the Spyder. It appears to be dead on... finally. Though it does seem to overly darken the screen... I recall that from last time, but I guess if it thinks its correct maybe I'm just too addicted to bright monitors. :)

Anyway, I'm feeling better. :mrgreen:

The cheeper spiders aren't perfect - especially if there's no sensor for the ambient light (room light). With the combo of a trained eye and a spider tho you should be able to get it dead on.

Glad you're feeling better! :)

Well Samsung :p They are one of the few LCD manufactures that actually make panels, and while they make incredibly crap panels they do make some absolutely fantastic ones too.

The darkening depends on how you calibrate too. For instance my screen is calibrated to AdobeRGB colour space which also specifies a brightness of 160cdm^-2, a room lighting level of 32lx and a contrast ratio of around 280:1 which is less than half of the actual contrast ratio of my screen is, and the brightness is capable of. That said my eyes feel much less fatigued now.

That said with any adjustment even if you don't calibrate to the correct brightness level will reduce the brightness because you can't increase the red and green above maximum you would need to reduce the blue.

One last note is that calibrators are good, but what you are changing is the signal going into the screen. There are screens out there with internal lookup tables which are modified by calibrators and if you plug your spider into one of those you'll never want to look at another screen again :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back