Color Film for B&W Photos

allansiew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
If I have taken photos on a film, the normal type of film that produces color photos. When I want to developed the photo how do I make it B&W?

I would say you'd have to either have them scanned or scan the negs yourself then do a conversion to black and white in Photoshop.

oppps...Unlesss you use one of the C-41 black and white films to start with. They are processed just like color film at your local one hour lab or pro shop

If you have colour negs then you can get B&W prints from them by printing onto Kodak Panalure paper. It's a panchromatic B&W printing paper and you treat the whole thing as if you are printing from B&W negs. The only thing that you have to do differently is do the whole process in total darkness.
I've used it on occasion and it's pretty good.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/prof...eSelectRcPaper.jhtml?id=0.1.16.14.28.44&lc=en

Not to hijack, but what happens if you project color negs onto black and white paper?

Not a lot. Some colour negs have a deep yellow base tint - normal b&w paper tends to be relatively insensitive to this colour.
You can get an image if you give it a very long exposure but the quality tends to be pants.
I have heard some people claim they have done it succesfully but I'm sceptical.

How about making prints with that chromogenic C-41 process black and white film? Do you just use a really looooong exposure? Will variable-contrast filtering still work?

I must try this, now that I have a darkroom!

The C41 film doesn't have the yellow base dye and it's image is B&W so it works just like an ordinary B&W neg.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back