Color Has Arrived

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After nothing but green and brown, we are finally getting some fall colors. Unfortunately many of the leaves have already just turned brown and fell to the ground. This one is really trying to show it's colors.

leaves10282017_310-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Oh man ... you clipped the bottom and I would have like a touch more DOF for that leaf tip. Overall this is nice work.

Thanks Gary. I had to rotate the image to get rid of the negative space, and got a little close. It's actually the back leaf that clipped. Might burn it down more into the shadows to hide it LOL. I was at f/11 and opened it up to f/10 to get a full exposure. Didn't catch the OOF on the camera preview. Oh well it was fun little project. I've been practicing and refining a process in PS that sharpens, and brings out the little details in a single image.

Was there extra black in the original image so you could transform the background and expand it in photoshop before cropping it?

Its lovely though, with its crisp, vibrant rendering.

Thanks for sharing!

Was there extra black in the original image so you could transform the background and expand it in photoshop before cropping it?

Thanks for sharing!

This was shot in studio, kind of a standard setup I use. AB400 strobe, w/42" octabox camera left up close with black flag to keep light off the background , large black foam core background about 48"" behind the plant. White foam core at 3 o'clock on camera right. Strobe adjusted to f/11, at 1/125, ISO 100. Actual exposure was f/10 based on the best histogram. I've been experimenting with and refining a PS action that I used on this.

Thanks for sharing!

This was shot in studio, kind of a standard setup I use. AB400 strobe, w/42" octabox camera left up close with black flag to keep light off the background , large black foam core background about 48"" behind the plant. White foam core at 3 o'clock on camera right. Strobe adjusted to f/11, at 1/125, ISO 100. Actual exposure was f/10 based on the best histogram. I've been experimenting with and refining a PS action that I used on this.

How interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure I communicated well in my first post though.

If I understood you correctly, the leaf got cut off on the bottom when you rotated it in post production, correct?

Could you extend the black background using the transform tool, before you rotate it, so that it doesn't end up cut out of the frame?

If I understood you correctly, the leaf got cut off on the bottom when you rotated it in post production, correct?

That's correct this is just a small section of the original image. Couple things I could do, but the OOF on the tip bummed me out. Before I spent much time on it, would be easier to reshoot.

How about some AB400 Back Lighted shots of those leaves?

Actually thinking about that. Still have the flags I made for the blackline shots I did of the antique bottle.

Last edited:
Wow a beauty but tis is one shot where the watermark really damages the image. If you got rid of it you'd have a nice image.

Wow a beauty but tis is one shot where the watermark really damages the image. If you got rid of it you'd have a nice image.

Thanks Donde. LR exports a JPG to Flickr with standard settings including adding a watermark and the location. I forgot to change it. :BangHead:

I think the contrasting colours are lovely, and I really like seeing these blacked out background kind of images, really makes the subject stand out. like others have said the OOF leaf tip is quite unfortunate. I've been in the same boat before, where the image looks fine on the LCD screen, but when I take it into LR i then realise things OOF that are not meant to be!

I think the contrasting colours are lovely, and I really like seeing these blacked out background kind of images, really makes the subject stand out. like others have said the OOF leaf tip is quite unfortunate. I've been in the same boat before, where the image looks fine Ton the LCD screen, but when I take it into LR i then realise things OOF that are not meant to be!

Thank you for commenting and looking. I had calculated what I thought would be a sufficient DOF at f/11, but the difference of just under 1/4" when I opened up to f/10 was just enough to drop the tip off as it had a slight backward curl.

Is your camera FF or APS-C. If you have a smaller sensored camera ... same settings, greater DOF.

APS-C, I'm dreaming of a K1 but haven't sold it to the wife yet. As she works on a quid pro quo system, it might be awhile!!!

Most reactions

Back