Color Landscapes

ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Occasionally I use color. :) Taken on a rainy, autumn day on the prairie...

hillside.jpg

sumacgrasscreek.jpg

camera: Pentax 67II
film: Kodak Portra 160NC
scanned from 6x7 neg
[/list]

I really like #2. It is great. It has an isolated focus point almost as if it were intentionally manipulated. Good image.

ur photo will look good for a normal people
but as a professional
i really cant say any good about your photo
i see poor composition, that is what u are trying to tell us in the photo
i see nothing, no subject only some zig zag pattern or inorganised pattern in ur photo
nevertheless good try keep it up

ming han wrote:
but as a professional
i see nothing, no subject only some zig zag pattern or inorganised pattern in ur photo

Usually, when people submit their images in this forum they are not seeking serious critique. They are merely sharing with us. The "critique" section is usually reserved for more serious critiques from professionals.

im not sure if im 'normal' or 'abnormal' but i really like the first one -:)
i think sometimes 'composition' and 'subject' is not everything - i find this pic very 'painting' (im not sure if that is the word - my english is poor) - > relations between colours in this one really stand - and this is the subject of the pic for me -:)

the second one...hmmm...pity that the top of the yellow tree is cut off -:(

lim ming han said:
but as a professional

They were very intentionally composed. The subject is the praire; that's all that grass and stuff. They came out looking as I intended (with the exception that the color is kind of wacky, I'm still figuring out digital color correction, and the light was weird that day anyway). Obviously you do not understand my artistic genius. :D

anua said:
i find this pic very 'painting' (im not sure if that is the word - my english is poor) - > relations between colours in this one really stand - and this is the subject of the pic for me -:)

the second one...hmmm...pity that the top of the yellow tree is cut off -:(

The first one was taken with abstract painting in mind, particularly Jackson Pollack.

In the full neg of the second image the top of the yellow tree is there. I cropped this because I didn't like the band of light sky that was also there.

I would say that my landscape images are most influenced by abstract and impressionist painters. It's more obvious with my color stuff, but it's still there in my BW. I very intentionally avoid the "professional" landscape look; what I call calendar photography. I always flip through the calenders, and the shots are pretty, and I do wish I was making some of that moola, but in the end it bores the heck out of me, and I gotta do what I need to do, even if no one else ever appreciates it, or recognizes my artistic genius :D My bank account this year seems to suggest that there are at least a few folks who see what I'm seeing :wink:

canonrebel said:
Usually, when people submit their images in this forum they are not seeking serious critique. They are merely sharing with us. The "critique" section is usually reserved for more serious critiques from professionals.

Anyone and everyone should feel free to express their opinions about my work where ever it's posted. If I didn't want comments, I wouldn't post it at all.

I guess I don't post in the critque section because my main intention is to share the image. I mean, I'm always blabbing on here, I figure it's important to occasionally post a pic to show that I do get away from the keyboard occasionally. I really like hearing folks' opinions of my stuff: good or bad, love it, hate it, bores me, etc..., but I'm not actively soliciting critiques. Mostly because I'm a pompous, artistic genius, and you guys wouldn't get me anyway! :roll:

I like them both, but there's something striking about the composition and colors of the 2nd one that really draws me in. As a people portrait photographer I am in awe of those who can take great landscape shots. It's really fun to see the variety of different techniques and composition on this forum!

ksmattfish said:
canonrebel said:

Anyone and everyone should feel free to express their opinions about my work where ever it's posted. If I didn't want comments, I wouldn't post it at all.

I guess I don't post in the critque section because my main intention is to share the image. I mean, I'm always blabbing on here, I figure it's important to occasionally post a pic to show that I do get away from the keyboard occasionally. I really like hearing folks' opinions of my stuff: good or bad, love it, hate it, bores me, etc..., but I'm not actively soliciting critiques. Mostly because I'm a pompous, artistic genius, and you guys wouldn't get me anyway! :roll:

I wasn't aware that you were a professional and a genious when I commented previously. I thought you were an amataur in need of encouragement, But since you're up for serious critique....

The first shot is a waste of time and energy. A macro of sand on an 8x10 section of any beach would exibit as much composition, texture, contrast, and general technique finesse. The colors are flat and drab--nothing pops. Can't really label a picture abstract just because there's no other description for it.

I actually like the 2nd shot. It has a semblance of composition as expressed by the yellow aspens and the convergence of the creak with the horizon. But there's nothing going for it by way of camera mechanics (Really shouldn't mention the camera mechanics as I don't know what your equipment is capable or producing)

Now for the serious part :D :D . I really think you are jesting with us. :D I Think your post is all in the name of fun. :D You have 1699 posts under your belt and surely you could be an artistic genious just from what you've absorbed from all the posts you've read.

I'd be interrested in seeing some of your serious stuff. I'll bet it kicks major butt!

canonrebel said:
The first shot is a waste of time and energy.

I don't think you and I have the same philosophy about photography. I can't imagine any shot, or even time/energy spent looking as a waste.

I'd be interrested in seeing some of your serious stuff. I'll bet it kicks major butt

Although I usually don't do color, I seriously do like these images, and did not post them in jest. The "artistic genius" part was jest for sure; art is so incredibly personal, yet almost everyone thinks their way in the only way. Check out my website, for examples of my work that I am serious enough about to share with others (these shots are there). I think it is unlikely that you will be impressed with it, but that's okay, I am very rarely impressed with the stuff I see on the web also whether professional or amateur.

canonrebel said:
I wasn't aware that you were a professional and a genious when I commented previously. I thought you were an amataur in need of encouragement, But since you're up for serious critique....

The first shot is a waste of time and energy. A macro of sand on an 8x10 section of any beach would exibit as much composition, texture, contrast, and general technique finesse. The colors are flat and drab--nothing pops. Can't really label a picture abstract just because there's no other description for it.

I find it a shame that you feel the need to make such a post, and I think it was completely uncalled for.

Most reactions

Back