color loss when scaning

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm loosing color from picture to scan of the picture. The actual image has far better color and contrast but when I went to put it on to the computer via scaning I have lost a metric but ton of color and clarity.

Is this due to scaning a glossy image? If so will printing it in a matte finish prevent this,or can the scanner settings be adjusted for better results?

Is there a simple postpruduction procedure to correct this?

Below is a cropped copy of the scan and a (sorry, not the greatest but...) picture of the original taken with my digital camera. The diffrence shows most predominately in the building in and of it self.

Picture6900cropped.jpg

100_2208.jpg

I experience a similar problem myself. Only thing I have been able to do is up the saturation on editing software to make up for it.

Still, hopefully I will be getting a proper negative scanner.

David

Every image I've ever scanned, on every scanner I've ever had, has had this problem. Just open the image in a program like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, and a couple of clicks will fix the problem. 90% of my images just need auto contrast and auto color.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Every image I've ever scanned, on every scanner I've ever had, has had this problem. Just open the image in a program like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, and a couple of clicks will fix the problem. 90% of my images just need auto contrast and auto color.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Thankfully My outdated software is not that out dated,lol. It dose have the auto contrast adjustment, I'll give it a try in a few.

*EDIT*
well, the shingles are still a little fuzzy but it got the color back

I'm right there, word for word with Jeff. Consumer ($100-$200) scanners are more of 'all purpose' devices.
There are several factors that influence the scanning info/process. No matter how "flat" you have your original, there is a certain amount of reflection/refraction that takes place. The scanning glass is not the best quality available. "Water clear" glass is too expensive for consumer grade devices.

The best I've ever gotten from a scanner like this is about 90-95% of the original. Sounds like a lot but that 5-10% can be a real bugger.

Nothing stupid about it at all. there is a lot more to scanning than many realize.

Now, as to stupid..........

Your family spreads around the fact that you can scan prints. Aunt Martha (your favorite) asks you to scan a shoebox full of old prints. You say "SURE" before you think of all the work involved. Now you understand the meaning of 'stupid', oh boy do you understand it !

P.S. - now that you have gone this far, you might consider blowing out some of the phone lines......

Nothing stupid about it at all. there is a lot more to scanning than many realize.

Now, as to stupid..........

Your family spreads around the fact that you can scan prints. Aunt Martha (your favorite) asks you to scan a shoebox full of old prints. You say "SURE" before you think of all the work involved. Now you understand the meaning of 'stupid', oh boy do you understand it !

P.S. - now that you have gone this far, you might consider blowing out some of the phone lines......

My aunt is old, It's likely that not only dose she have a shoe box full, It's prolly a very big shoe box, and not alone either. Then again, that'd be my luck.

Can I do that or do I need a particular type of scanner?

You need a particular type of scanner. Some flatbed scanners have a device to hold and light the negatives (you can also use them in the regular way) and there are dedicated (more expensive, better results) negative scanners.

Battou, I had the same problem with some film photos I took recently and had to scan to share with friends. I found this tutorial which can add some punch:

http://www.dezinerfolio.com/2007/08/30/simple-and-effective-photographic-results-for-beginners/

I do not have Photoshop but I appriciate the thought, If you by chance come across something based on either MS Photodraw or Adobe Illistrator, lemme know, I'll be all over it as I am still not getting the results I want.

You need a particular type of scanner. Some flatbed scanners have a device to hold and light the negatives (you can also use them in the regular way) and there are dedicated (more expensive, better results) negative scanners.

Ouch, that is way out of budget, but thanks it saves me the hassel of trying to conjour up some means of doing it with this thing.

For now I'll have to go with the what I got untill I get acclimated to the camera and then just have them put onto disk during developing, unless something better comes along.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back