Color Matching for Diptych

Aquarium Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is what I need help with:

These are two images of the same building, and the color cast on them was different. I've tweaked color balance on both, but they still don't look matched to me. Is there a way to color match the siding on both images?

These images are by no means finished.. I still intend to change the crop, do some dodging, and spot some dust & scratches. As I said, these are two separate images, and will be framed together in the same frame, with a mat that has two windows.

If there is anything else you can suggest or comment on in regards to improving these as a diptych/matching set, I would be grateful! Thank you!

Also, if they suck and you have a good reason why you think they suck, I'm all ears. Likewise if you think they're any good.

Thanks!!

405505800_bb1d2577ca_o.jpg

I am no pro on this, but it looks like you are trying to compare apples to oranges.
If you are trying to get te same look you probably need the same view.
As in, show both sides or both fronts, I'm thinking lighting has something to do with the prob.
Also, other than my rambling, it looks pretty close to me

Along the same lines as what outdoorlover said it's a real life item and each side of the building won't necessarily be the same colour - each side will be exposed to different weather conditions. Each side will be bleached/faded by the sun for different lengths of time.

It looks fine to me.

as mentioned above.....the color difference is not only a result of color balance (white balance)....but also a result of exposure.....with different exposure in different direction.......you would expect different intensity of color

looking at both picture.....your right image seems to be more exposed then the left image.......the leaves are blown out on the right

Some software will let you use an eyedropper to pick spot on the image that's supposed to be neutral. Try using the siding of the shed for each image to get them looking the same.

There is a filter procedure in CS2 that's called 'color match'. It'll probably do te trick for you.

Wow, it took me a long time to get back to this thread. I've been up all night every night for over a week editing photos, and I needed a break from looking at these two. This week I learned about adjustment layers (I was waay behind) and a little about lab color, so I started from scratch with this.

Thanks to everyone who commented. I decided darich was right and that each side would be exposed to different weather conditions and varying levels of bleaching from the sun, so I quit messing around so much with the color balance, and just accepted that they wouldn't match perfectly. I didn't try the color match filter, and after I switched the image to lab mode, the neutral color dropper on levels wasn't available. As shingfan pointed out, the right image had slightly more exposure, so to compensate, I adjusted levels on the left image to make it lighter. I burned in the blown out branches (now on both images). I adjusted the color balance on the left image slightly in favor of yellow and adjusted curves on both images. Then I cropped them so they would be closer to the same size and in the same place in the frame.

Did they match better before or do they now?

Any other suggestions on what I can do to improve the set?

Am I being neurotic?

413305595_2996a29e10_o.jpg

Are you in love with the colours? I find the images too disparate in their current state to go well together. When hit with the wonder of sepia however... well, I like it.

shaks.jpg

I was going to suggest sepia as well.
It brings out the 'old and deserted' feel much more.

Are you in love with the colours? I find the images too disparate in their current state to go well together. When hit with the wonder of sepia however... well, I like it.

shaks.jpg

:heart::mrgreen::heart::mrgreen::heart:

Perfect!! Thanks soo much! I'm at a loss for words, except "Problem solved," accompanied with a little slap to my forehead.:lol: Thank you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back