color negative & photoshop

soupman99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
is there anyplace online that give instructions on how to convert a color negative to a positive? I've got a set of prints made from the negatives I have and I can't get my photoshop versions to look anything like what I got printed at the printer.

I'm a graphic designer and am a pretty hardcore user of photoshop so if there's a way to do it, I'll be able to. I need someone to point me in the right direction.

Image > Adjustments > Invert
Then tweak the results.
What you see on the computer will never be quite the same as what you get with a C-type print. Computers work in RGB whilst prints are CMYK.

is there anyplace online that give instructions on how to convert a color negative to a positive? I've got a set of prints made from the negatives I have and I can't get my photoshop versions to look anything like what I got printed at the printer.

This is really interesting, I think.
Perhaps it is a scanning issue.
Could you post a faithful scan of the print and the negative?

TIA,

Lew

The problem I'm having is that when I scan the negative it's so red that the red channel of the image is basically the only one that shows up. So I can't tweak the color channels without it looking SUPER grainy

Here's the images that I've got.

gb.jpg

What's causing the problem is the masking layer in the film.
You need to remove it.
Try Image > Adjustments > Curves.
Select the White Point eyedropper and click on the clear orange background.
The cast should go and then do I > A > Invert and tweak it.

Neg scanners usually come with driver software that removes this colour cast when you scan.

I'm getting something that's pretty close. Any advice on getting rid of the grainyness and clearing up the quality aside from just the standard filters?

The grain could be caused by not having a high enough resolution when scanning. Try upping it to the max then try Despeckle in Filters.

Use the Curves dialogue to adjust contrast. Or levels.
For final colour adjustments Image > Adjustments > Variations.
Then use the Sharpen filter.

Why don't you just send them to a lab and get them scanned professionally.

well...

1) I don't wanna pay $10 when I might be able to do it myself.
2) I'll get less of what I want and I'll have less control.
3) I want to do it myself.

When you open your scanner software look for a dropdown box for settings, select color negative scanning if supported by the scanner, if its just a cheapo it may not have the option. H

Umm that negative scan looks like the problem. Scanners light up what they are scanning with a light from underneath. Film and Negatives however need to be backlit to get any kind of semi acceptable result. The above image will not get you anything like that. I suppose you could try by putting a piece of paper over the negative and a fluorescent lamp above that and re-scanning but other than that if you don't have a backlight you have little chance of any acceptable result.

Hello, if I may intrude, what are the steps and or tricks for B&W? And can this be done on a flat bed (mine only supports 35mm)? I would like to shoot and develop some 120 B&W but don't want to print it just yet.

mike

As Garbbz posted as I was typing, can a small mirror be used or would this cause the neg to be out of focus?

Most reactions

Back