Color or Black and White? Help Me Decide!

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, here's a few more portraits that I just shot today. After messing around in post-process for quite sometime, just gave up on trying to get it perfectly sharp. Anyways, I think that being that the image is a bit softer, that it looks better in black and white. However, I would like your opinions as you all are much more experienced than I am (just got my first camera 2-3 weeks ago). Also, don't just stop at telling me which one is better, I will take ANY and ALL critiques you guys have.

4188519223_faa63a256d_b.jpg

4188519229_a355fcaebb_b.jpg

Also, add me as a contact on Flickr!

Flickr: jackstrutz's Photostream

I'm not sure I would pick either. The black and white one is too dull for my taste, the face is washed out and underexposed. The model did not seem to enjoy the shot at all, which made it slightly less attractive. I really wish the face would have been focused on better, and I kind of think a light fill-in flash would have made the black and white version a lot better.

I notice that you have done all portrait shots, is that all you are interested in or do you think you would like to try other shots as well? You say you need more models besides yourself, but nature is a beautiful model in itself ;)

Good job and keep on shooting!

P.S.
I added you on Flickr :D

I am normally a B&W fan but I think this shot is better in color, mainly because there is better separation between the subject and the background in the color. She seems to blend in the b&w one and you miss the eye color.

The background is overexposed. I think you would have gotten even better color with a better exposure. Not sure what happened but it is out of focus like you said. I think if you were to step down the f stop and get a little less definition in the background could help too. Nice shot overall. It is a good start for only having the camera for a few weeks. Keep it up!

I don't like the shot period. I think the subject matter is boring and not really telling a story.

Black and white, but both of them need work/re-shooting...

In both, the background is blown out and distracting (more distracting in the color in my opinion), the expression is vapid and not very appealing and is not very comfortable for the viewer or the model. The eye make-up is smudged on the right eye and very distracting in both. The face has very flat lighting in both lacks any sort of shadows that would give it depth and shape.

It is only the less distracting background that makes me lean towards the black and white. That and my bias for black and white photography.

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm looking at it now as you guys are pointing out all the things that you are seeing and I couldn't agree with you more.

[/end thread]

When you remove the images from flickr, or replace images, the links break, and the thread dies.

Weird, haha. I guess my laptop just archived them. Well, what Bitter Jeweler said, don't take photos off of Flickr, keep them up so that you can still get C&C, even if you want the thread to be closed.

Most reactions

Back