color or bw but.... beware it's a horizontal portrait

So...it looks like I'll be the first to say there's something across her face.

That will bring out the "disagrees"!

Nominated the color for POTM :)

But there is something across her face. Why would anyone disagree with that?

And besides, obscuring the face isn't a bad thing for a portrait.

I like the color version, the bright colors.........and then the face.

You seem to be in an experimental mode lately. I like the color better but it made me think of when you're grilling out and get smoke in your face, I just want to clear some of that smoke out! lol Obscures too much for my tastes I guess but interesting.
lol
still thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Color.

The black and white doesn't have enough tonal contrast for me.
yeah, I understand

:) I was planning to title the thread "Oh God, there's something across her face" :)

I like the color version, the bright colors.........and then the face.
Thanks for your words Dave :)

Guess I'll stand out from the crowd.

Black and white, with more contrast.
hm.... you just don't want to make things easier for me!!!
;)

I like the black and white as well. One thing I would suggest though is darkening the shadows using a curves layer mask.
screen_shot_2015_05_13_at_2_21_47_pm_by_danostergren-d8t9at5.png
Yeah... at first I did that, but then it seemed that the contrast is too contrasty and pull the viewer away from her face...

My thoughts exactly, but I am afraid more contrast will not work because of blown areas across the image
hm... I was thinking similar when I was doing bw version

My thoughts exactly, but I am afraid more contrast will not work because of blown areas across the image
I think it will work just fine. Contrast can be added without making the highlights any brighter than they already are, and in my opinion the highlights that are already blown compliment the shot rather than detract from it.
But, our eyes are more attracted to the areas with the strong contrast, in this case the area right on the picture is problematic because blown out highlights aren't that small. In the color version that isn't much of a problem, but in bw, would that be a problem?

oh idk....

Nominated the color for POTM :)
oh!!! :D (speechless)

Also don't worry about whether a portrait is horizontal or not; horizontal portraits are not taboo, contrary to what a few random people in photography forums say.

That and a huge amount of negative space. I happen to like a lot of negative space. :p

But there is something across her face. Why would anyone disagree with that?

And besides, obscuring the face isn't a bad thing for a portrait.

I love horizontal portraits, love tones of negative space, love framings etc. I've read enough of "horizontal portraits is not a proper portrait" kind of comments and when I posted the photo I just wasn't in a mood to listen more about that.

Last edited:
I love horizontal portraits, love tones of negative space, love framings etc. I've read enough of "horizontal portraits is not a proper portrait" kind of comments and when I posted the photo I just wasn't in a mood to listen more about that.
If that is all you are hearing, then you are missing something. That might be what other members have written to you and others, but apparently you have missed the reason that the comment was made.

In case you have never read that comment by me, I will try to explain: The times I usually object to "horizontal portraits" is when the photographer includes too much negative space on one or both sides of the subject, for no apparent reason, while often at the same time cropping a portion of the subject's head, or cropping the body at an unusual place. In shots such as that, I will suggest that the photographer turn the camera. Or even shoot wide and crop to vertical later.

I have seen many portraits in horizontal format that are simply adorable, and it is usually because the photographer has framed the subject exquisitely with good balance to the overall composition. There is a thread here with that theme. Worth a look, if you have not seen it.

Your example here is not objectionable, and you have heard no objection from me in that regard. The only reason I did not nominate it for POTM (long before D-B-J did) was because there is something in front of her face.

So you see, it's not always automatically a bad thing to frame a headshot horizontally. BTW: the background is the thing that makes framing this in horizontal format make sense.

I hope that helps.

If that is all you are hearing, then you are missing something. That might be what other members have written to you and others, but apparently you have missed the reason that the comment was made.

In case you have never read that comment by me, I will try to explain: The times I usually object to "horizontal portraits" is when the photographer includes too much negative space on one or both sides of the subject, for no apparent reason, while often at the same time cropping a portion of the subject's head, or cropping the body at an unusual place. In shots such as that, I will suggest that the photographer turn the camera. Or even shoot wide and crop to vertical later.

I have seen many portraits in horizontal format that are simply adorable, and it is usually because the photographer has framed the subject exquisitely with good balance to the overall composition. There is a thread here with that theme. Worth a look, if you have not seen it.

Your example here is not objectionable, and you have heard no objection from me in that regard. The only reason I did not nominate it for POTM (long before D-B-J did) was because there is something in front of her face.

So you see, it's not always automatically a bad thing to frame a headshot horizontally. BTW: the background is the thing that makes framing this in horizontal format make sense.

I hope that helps.
Ok Jim... this is a misunderstanding.
The sentence I wrote wasn't aimed at your comment (I actually thought your comment was funny and I respond to your comment in the previous message) it was aimed at Dan's and vtec's comments. It's my fault I haven't deleted the comment that Dan quoted from you.

I have never had troubles with your comments and I'm always glad to find you in my threads.

Last edited:
color.
creative.
it is "okay". Guess i am impartial on this one.
I do like the display of some creativity.
Thanks for posting.

You seem to be in an experimental mode lately. I like the color better but it made me think of when you're grilling out and get smoke in your face, I just want to clear some of that smoke out! lol Obscures too much for my tastes I guess but interesting.
sorta with you. Little less could be more. Especially covering her. It is semi interesting though.

Most reactions

Back