Color Profiles

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by rmh159, Jul 13, 2007.

1. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was post processing some pics last nite and noticed that in Photoshop they look CONSIDERALLY lighter than in windows browser.

I'm guessing this is caused by using different color profiles in the camera (Nikon D50), RAW Converter, Photoshop and Windows.

Any recommendations which profile to use to get the most accurate picture? I'd think the printer would the deciding factor to ensure that a print would match my edits on the PC but as I usually order them online, I'm not sure what profile the online company would use.

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sRGB is the only unified standard. Any digital device will read an sRGB encoded JPEG the same way. Those "wide gamut" colour spaces are not worth the hassle IMO. Some of my own tests here show no real positive difference when printing a very colourful PhotoPro image using dedicated profiles, as opposed to printing an sRGB image and letting windows handle the colour management.

3. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sRGB is the way to go for web images. Printing profiles, on the other hand, are tailored to the gamut range of the printer itself.

4. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    SRGB is for screen and snappy snaps use over in the UK, all pro labs want Adobe RGB 1998 profiles tagged to an image, printers on the other hand have different profiles for differing papers, for best results use the profiles with the selected media. Plus, all of your equipment can be profiled and calibrated for output, windows does the job, PS + AGP + Monitor+ printer with matched profiles/calibration make for professional prints. H