Color space issues

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Johnboy2978, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just finished some senior portraits and am in the editing process. Both my camera and Photoshop CS2 are set for sRGB, but when I save the file from RAW to JPG and then view the jpg w/ internet explorer, IrfanView, or window/fax viewer, it looks terribly washed out and desaturated. When I send these to MPIX to print, which is it going to more closely resemble? I save them at the highest setting and it still looks crappy as a jpg. Should I save as Tiff or something else?

2. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    please post one

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That depends on whichever software you use to convert the RAW. Even if photoshop defaults to sRGB, CameraRAW will default to AdobeRGB. In photoshop open the file in question and click edit -> convert colour space. It will show the current colour space and give you a choice of a new one. So far I have found it a practical non-destructive process meaning I have not been able to tell the difference between the PhotoPro RGB or sRGB when viewed or printed.

The most important thing is to stick with the same colour space, and software calibrated for the printer you intend to use.