Color Technique Question. Help!

dcsnowboarder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do I create this coloring like in the photo below. I've seen it used alot. The neutrals look pale but colors look vibrant. Look at their skin and his jeans. I would love to know how to create this effect. I have a Nikon D90. I don't know if its specific settings or if I need a special filter. Thanks!http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3714792369_7f2ac48fe6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure exactly what was used here, but Lightroom has a "Vibrance" slider. It works similarly to saturation, except it leaves skin tones alone. I almost never use saturation, but I use vibrance all the time. It can help a photo pop without making everyone look like aliens.

The first step is to have good light and to get a well exposed image. After that, there are many editing techniques to help you.
As mentioned, Virbrance is a newer tool in the latest versions of Lightroom or Photoshop.

I think even vibrance would effect the skintones more than it has in the image you posted. A simple way I could think of to get an image like that would be to have a layer where you boost the vibrance/saturation, but mask off the foreground.

Most reactions

Back