Color Temperature and WB

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by zbo2408, Jan 1, 2009.

1. zbo2408

zbo2408 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am wanting to make sure I understand this ...

WB is the process of telling the camera the temperature of the color so the camera can determine what is white?

Correct ?

And when in iPhoto editing my RAW photos and I adjust the "temperature" I am essentially changing the WB that was selected at the time of shooting correct?

Please correct what I have stated that is wrong and confirm what is right for me please :)

And Also does any one have a chart that correlates WB settings / color / and the proper application of these settings ?

Thanks for reading & Happy New Year !

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    depending on your camera, you shouldnt need any kind of chart, because the camera shots pictures for white balance.. and you pick it based on those pictures.. theres a picture of a lightening bolt thats for if your using flash, theres a pic or a flourecent light (for.. flourcent light) a sun for natural light, a house for shadowy areas.. thats one way of picking what WB to use..

4. dtornabene1

dtornabene1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Take a look at this post and read through all the responses. While ann provides a great resource, there is not magical chart.

Pay particular attention on the response where I have posted two pictures. You would assume one would be at a different color temperature than the other, but it turns out to be the opposite of what you might think.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...m-photo-gallery/148030-first-pics-posted.html

In general, WB (white balance) how we get the photo to look like we saw it when it was taken. But it can be a cool tool to make great B/W (black and white) shots better.

-Nick

5. zbo2408

zbo2408 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    dtornabene1

Thanks for the link to your WB post ... it did help... But I am still a little curious about what's happening in iPhoto...

When I have a RAW photo in iPhoto and I'm editing it, when I adjust the temperature slider am I adjusting the WB ?

6. dtornabene1

dtornabene1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Yep! You got it. :thumbup:

-Nick