Color Theory In On Location Shoots

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just curious how everyone uses color theory for things like weddings and other events where you're essentially limited to the backgrounds where you're shooting. Do you scope out potential when you get to the location? Do you use Photoshop afterwards to get the colors you wish you had?

It's all about the Zone System for me now. If you know how to take advantage of this, when concerning yourself with exposure, the background becomes your friend not an enemy.

That is from the aspect of getting the right exposure, it doesn't cover aesthetics. I always do a walk-around and envision the shots that can be taken from various angles. If I have the time or I come the day before to scout out the place, I do test shots. That way I know what potential challenges to expect such as white balance, extreme conditions and what not. I look for places that will give me the results I see in my head.

This info gets jotted down on a paper and used on the day of the event.

I try to do as little as possible in photoshop, but obviously, if needed, some things are done there... but very little and never very aggressively. I never do things like background changes, but my mentor, only when asked would do the corny stuff like the faces or rings in the champagne glass or the elaborate collages and similar tacky stuff.

Also, at weddings, you can do all the planning you want, but chances are good that they will drastically change. In the end, you do what you can and go with the flow for the rest.

A strobe with a color gel always makes for good BG changes. Just find a white wall and throw a blue gel on you strobe and aim it at the wall. Or whatever color you want. Experiment with the angle you shoot the light at the wall. If you shoot straight at the wall the color will be even, if you glance it off the wall at an extreme angle, the color will tart out light and fade to darker color as it gets further from the light. Snoots make for god control too.

In a wedding, where most pics involve more than 2 people and time is critical (so we don't have much time to set and tear down before moving on)... snoots and bg colour changes via gels are of limited value. They do very well in 1-2 person strobist type of shots, though!

Yeah agreed. I have never seen carefully thought out flash work done by a lone photographer. Moving flashes around requires a team. May work if you have 2 or more on location and you can get some mad results like the guys at FlashFlavor.com

Fortunately my experience at weddings is that these things often not much of an issue. So many event planners who decide how the wedding runs often plan in fitting colour schemes and lovely backgrounds and scenery.

At weddings it often becomes more about non-intrusive backgrounds than it does about matching etc.

Yeah agreed. I have never seen carefully thought out flash work done by a lone photographer. Moving flashes around requires a team. May work if you have 2 or more on location and you can get some mad results like the guys at FlashFlavor.com

Fortunately my experience at weddings is that these things often not much of an issue. So many event planners who decide how the wedding runs often plan in fitting colour schemes and lovely backgrounds and scenery.

Holy Crap! Those FlashFlavor shots of the B&G in the water cavern are mind bogglingly amazing. Porbably the coolest shots I've seen in a long time.

Get an IR filter and at some point during the day get them outside. You can color in anything you like then. ;)

My limited experience has been that the B&G want their wedding photos to look like they remembered the event. The limits on any and all artistic license should be discussed and included in the contract long before the wedding day.

TTDs are something that I would LOVE to do. Almost came true once, but it was pre-wedding, and the bride mentioned something about needing a clean dress in one piece during the wedding being a little important... lol

I've seen this particular TTD before... there is a website somewhere that discusses IN DETAIL how he set up the lighting and the couple. It seemed quite the incredible experience.

Most reactions

Back