Color/Tone difference between editing software and viewer.

itsme123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone :) . I just started using Adobe LR and Elements to do my PP work. A strange thing I am noticing is that my pictures look different in terms of color, tone, brightness between my editing sofware (LR and Elements) and photo viewer/browser (ACDsee Photomanager 9). I would edit a picture in Elements (and or LR) and save my work in both psd and jpeg. Then the same picture will look "flat" if it is opened in ACDsee. It almost looks like all the adjustments I've made are all gone. The strange thing is that it will do the same thing if the picture is uploaded to a forum gallery (this site's gallery for example). Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening? BTW, my monitor is calibrated using a huey. Thank you :)

Not using Elements I dont no how the colour profiling works on it, can you change the working profile? maybe your profile is set wrong making them look more vibrant than they actually are, then when opened in another program the profile is changed to that.
Only a guess mind as I dont use these programs

flat images sound like having a large colour space to me, which cannot be displayed properly on screen.

Depending on the settings / defaults / capabilities of various pieces of software, this problem is compensated by the displaying software, so the image does not look flat anymore (LR and Elements I would guess do this in your case). This software sort of mimics what the image would look like if your screen could display the large colour space the image has.

Then other software does not do this (web browsers usually don't), and the image looks flat.

A large colour space is good if you want to print, but on screen it can be painful to handle sometimes.

So are your images in Adobe RGB? or in sRGB? sRGB is the small colour space of the two, and most screens can handle it.

I think you two have found my problem :thumbup: . My Element's color setting/profile was set to "Always Optimize for Printing" which is Adobe RGB and my LR was set to Adobe Pro Photo RGB. I am going to change the settings and try again. Will report back on the results. Really appreciate the help :) .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back