Colorado hiking questions

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
I will be spending a couple days in central Colorado next week. I am wondering if some of the natives can tell me a couple of things. First, where would be a good place to go that would have trails that go up and through some hills / mountains with breath taking views? I am not talking about hard core mountain climbing, but I don't want a county park with a trail that runs around a lake. Trails that break off into multiple paths are ok as I will have my GPS with me.

Second, what are the dangers out there? Bears, wolves, retired midget carnival clowns? What are the chances I would get attacked unprovoked?

Thanks for your help.

Doug Raflik

What city will you be closest to? I would recommend the Black Canon, but that's quite a bit west. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is a great place. I would recommend taking a drive from Estes Park to Grand Lake (I believe it's called Grants Pass) because the pass goes up to 12,000 some feet. It might be closed still but it's something to look into.

Bears, wolves, retired midget carnival clowns? What are the chances I would get attacked unprovoked?

I think that the retired midget carnival clown packs have been culled to make room for housing developments. The last recorded retired midget carnival clown attack on a human in CO was in 1992.

What city will you be closest to? I would recommend the Black Canon, but that's quite a bit west. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is a great place. I would recommend taking a drive from Estes Park to Grand Lake (I believe it's called Grants Pass) because the pass goes up to 12,000 some feet. It might be closed still but it's something to look into.

I am really open at this point. Coming back from California and have yet to make a set route, but by looking at the map, am thinking of taking hwy 24 south off of I-10 and conecting with Colorado Springs.

gmarquez said:
I think that the retired midget carnival clown packs have been culled to make room for housing developments. The last recorded retired midget carnival clown attack on a human in CO was in 1992.

Oh what a relief

I remember that day... I was in my basement until mom thought it was safe to go outside and play again.

It's actually Trail Ridge Road that goes from Grand Lake to Estes Park.

The Estes - Grand road he is talking about is Trail Ridge Road and isn't open for the season yet. Plus - that is in the middle of Rocky Mountain National Park. If you could get to Estes Park and RMNP - I would do it. It's my favorite place in the world.

But, Garden of the Gods is good too - although very touristy and really isn't much hiking. More like park and shoot.

Giving us an idea where you are going to be will help a TON - because let's face it - there are millions of amazing trails in Colorado!

Then you are going through Grand Jct. then? If so I would recommend hiking the Grand Mesa. From I-70 just east of Grand Jct, turn south on highway 65 it's a little jog (10 miles I think), but it's worth it. I was raised in Montrose 60 miles south of there, that's where the black canyon is. It's gorgeous. I would actually suggest that you go from Grand Jct to Montrose then head east on highway 50. Take Highway 50 all the way to Colorado Springs. Highway 50 is a gorgeous drive, but so is 24 (I like highway 50 is better but I'm a little bias).

Don't worry my carnival clown midget family will not harm you. They will be in Cali preparing to harm the locals there. :) :badangel:

A great hike, very close to Colorado Springs, is Barr Trail.
In the town of Manitou Springs (just 4-5 miles west of Colo Springs) go to the end of Ruxton Avenue. Barr Trail continues from there and goes about 13 miles to the top of Pike's Peak through glorious country.

I 2nd the mention of Rocky Mountain National Park, it's absolutely gorgeous up there.

I also recommend RMNP. If you do come down 24 you might check the Twin Lakes - Buena Vista area. Clear Creek Reservoir is a few miles south of Twin Lakes and north of Buena Vista. It's not that well known but you can easily drive back into some true Colorado high country that's not overrun with tourists. The gravel road goes about 20 miles back from the highway before it becomes 4 wheel only and gets pretty high in elevation.

Although not totally non existant, there is very little danger from wildlife unless you sit on a porcupine. No grizzlies. Just watch your step and environment a little.

When did you say you're coming, a lot of the high country is still probably snowbound or snowbound/deep mud.

My profile pic was taken on the Barr Trail mentioned above last Oct when I climbed Pikes Peak for the first time.

Most reactions

Back