Colorado hiking questions

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by wxnut, May 3, 2007.

1. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

I will be spending a couple days in central Colorado next week. I am wondering if some of the natives can tell me a couple of things. First, where would be a good place to go that would have trails that go up and through some hills / mountains with breath taking views? I am not talking about hard core mountain climbing, but I don't want a county park with a trail that runs around a lake. Trails that break off into multiple paths are ok as I will have my GPS with me.

Second, what are the dangers out there? Bears, wolves, retired midget carnival clowns? What are the chances I would get attacked unprovoked?

Thanks for your help.

Doug Raflik

2. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What city will you be closest to? I would recommend the Black Canon, but that's quite a bit west. Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is a great place. I would recommend taking a drive from Estes Park to Grand Lake (I believe it's called Grants Pass) because the pass goes up to 12,000 some feet. It might be closed still but it's something to look into.

3. gmarquez

gmarquez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I think that the retired midget carnival clown packs have been culled to make room for housing developments. The last recorded retired midget carnival clown attack on a human in CO was in 1992.

4. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

I am really open at this point. Coming back from California and have yet to make a set route, but by looking at the map, am thinking of taking hwy 24 south off of I-10 and conecting with Colorado Springs.

Oh what a relief

5. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I remember that day... I was in my basement until mom thought it was safe to go outside and play again.

It's actually Trail Ridge Road that goes from Grand Lake to Estes Park.

6. ashfordphoto

ashfordphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

The Estes - Grand road he is talking about is Trail Ridge Road and isn't open for the season yet. Plus - that is in the middle of Rocky Mountain National Park. If you could get to Estes Park and RMNP - I would do it. It's my favorite place in the world.

But, Garden of the Gods is good too - although very touristy and really isn't much hiking. More like park and shoot.

Giving us an idea where you are going to be will help a TON - because let's face it - there are millions of amazing trails in Colorado!

7. ashfordphoto

ashfordphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wow. i'm slow :)

8. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Then you are going through Grand Jct. then? If so I would recommend hiking the Grand Mesa. From I-70 just east of Grand Jct, turn south on highway 65 it's a little jog (10 miles I think), but it's worth it. I was raised in Montrose 60 miles south of there, that's where the black canyon is. It's gorgeous. I would actually suggest that you go from Grand Jct to Montrose then head east on highway 50. Take Highway 50 all the way to Colorado Springs. Highway 50 is a gorgeous drive, but so is 24 (I like highway 50 is better but I'm a little bias).

9. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Don't worry my carnival clown midget family will not harm you. They will be in Cali preparing to harm the locals there. :) :badangel:

10. BoblyBill

BoblyBill TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    those little guys where yours? I'm gonna have to sue you for causing emotional harm:).

11. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A great hike, very close to Colorado Springs, is Barr Trail.
    In the town of Manitou Springs (just 4-5 miles west of Colo Springs) go to the end of Ruxton Avenue. Barr Trail continues from there and goes about 13 miles to the top of Pike's Peak through glorious country.

12. Tangerini

Tangerini TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I 2nd the mention of Rocky Mountain National Park, it's absolutely gorgeous up there.