Coloring Matching Photos

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by stalley, Jun 16, 2010.

1. stalley

stalley TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    We're shooting weddings with 2-3 of the same canon cameras on the same white balance settings and getting results that don't match. Our exposure settings are different considering which lenses we're using (with different apertures) but does that really screw with the coloring? For example we just photographed a wedding with a rock wall in the background and the rock wall seems to be a different color across all of the pictures.

Is there a better way to shoot to where the end results will match up better or is there a color management software that helps in post processing?

2. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some lenses have slightly different coloring characteristics. Also, if one photographer is "underexposing" that will impact the richness of the colors. Some colors will be more saturated/deep when underexposed.

You could run a test, use all the same exact settings and look at the results.

I can't speak to any software to help match them better.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    In other threads earlier this month, you say you are new to photography.

Here you say "We're shooting weddings with 2-3 of the same canon cameras".

Are you shooting as a guest or as a paid photographer?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. stalley

stalley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Although that seemed laced with a little judgment I'll try to explain since I'm sure that does seems a little confusing.

My sister has owned a studio for several years and one of her photographers who has been acting as lead photographer at weddings and doing all of the post processing of wedding images has had to leave the studio because of a very serious diagnosis. Since she's left abruptly to be with her family and seek treatment I'm stepping in to take her place. So while my sister is taking care of all of the appointments by herself, I'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. Luckily I've been dabbling in amateur landscape photography for a while and own my own Graphic Design business which has taught me tons about Photoshop. I've bought a few books, am watching a ton of tutorials, and trying to learn as much as I can from peers online.

The last wedding I referenced here was the first after her lead photographer had left and so I came here for help. I imagine I'll be coming here tons...

5. jackson86

jackson86 TPF Noob!

Hiii...I think u facing this bcoz...In digital photography, color temperature is sometimes used interchangeably with white balance, which allow a remapping of color values to simulate variations in ambient color temperature. Most digital cameras and RAW image software provide presets simulating specific ambient values (e.g., sunny, cloudy, tungsten, etc.) while others allow explicit entry of white balance values in Kelvin.
    Filters on a camera lens, or color gels over the light source(s) may also be used to correct color balance.

Birthday Gifts

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Erm colour temperature IS white balance, also the white balance settings were the same if you read the first post.

As mentioned lenses can and do introduce colour variations, as does exposure. An old trick from Kodachrome which has passed onto digital photos is that under exposing increases saturation. All these subtle variances can lead to changes in colour, but beyond that, are you just being a bit too critical? I mean how bad can it be. Post some examples.

7. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are the picture styles set the same?

The picture style may be set to the same style, but maybe the settings are not the same - contrast, saturation, etc...

Take a look here:
    Canon : Picture Style

8. Scatterbrained

Scatterbrained Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here ColorChecker Passport Review
    Color checker passport creates custom camera profiles so you can use several cameras and have all the photos match. It has become the one thing that always goes with me when I take the camera out.
    video expaining it. . .
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/mYE6707A7ZHF0]Amazon.com : Entertainment : X-Rite ColorChecker Passport[/ame]

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not the issue here. Colour profiles are defined by the sensor profile of the camera. Any model of camera with the same sensor and same image processor will have the same colour profile. Cameras have no variance in that regard.

With that said I have one and love mine, I use it to make a custom profile because of Adobe's love of magenta skin tones. But now that that's done I just use it for colour balancing.

10. epatsellis

epatsellis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unless they're using different lenses. I've run into this in the studio and have profiled each body/lens combination and use those profiles when posting longer portrait sessions, weddings or other events where w/b and color correction is critical.

Also make sure all the settings are consistent across all cameras, I'm not familiar with Canon, so i don't know what your options are.