colors in photoshop...

Editing yes, printing no. Process in 16bit and then convert to 8bit before saving when you're done.

Consider that in the sRGB colour space most people can't visually tell the difference between the RGB value 64,234,45 and the value 64,233,45 because the 8bit value gives you 16.7million colour combinations.

But when you're changing values and the filters are approximating the new colours the extra bit of precision helps. Especially if you're making an image darker. Consider a half exposed two colours. 128,64,128, and 128,63,128, doubling the brightness gives 255,128,255 and 255,126,255.

Crude example but can you see how the error increased? You have nothing to lose really storing an 8bit file if you don't plan to re-edit, but you have a lot to lose if you don't edit in 16bit.

aaaha! I see what you're saying... if you convert to 8 bit before PP than a good chance of catching a case of posterization? I understand, I understand, and good thinking.

After that, I think I'll start saving my PSD is 16 bit and convert to 8 bit before JPEGing.

Thanks Garz :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back