Colour adjustment/enhancing

That was taken with a canon 300D at prime focus with my 10" (1200mm)

Here is M42 taken with a 200mm zoom lens piggy backed on my EQ-6. Not the greatest photo, bad chromatic abberation, didn't know enougth to stop down back then. This was actually one of my first images. But it gives you an idea of the magnification a simple zoom can give you.

m426df.jpg

Wow this thread makes me really want to get into astrophotography :)
I think tonight I'll go out and try to fill the last shot on my roll of Velvia in my camera with whatever I can get ;) Then next time I get a chance I'll try some more serious stuff. Too bad all I have is a 50mm lens, but maybe I can get something interesting. Anyway... what do you reccommend as a good film for stars? I'm guessing something medium-speed so you can shorten exposures and not loose too much quality. What did you use for this shot? Thanks :)

50mm lens will be fine for Astrophotography but a wide angle like a 28mm or so is better for getting some of the larger constellations.

I use a mixture of 200 ASA and 400 ASA film. The 200 is for long exposures like trails & subjects close to the pole star and the 400 I use for stuff more than 45 degrees from the pole star as they are appearing to move faster the further away you get and you have to use shorter exposures to avoid trailing (unless thats what you're after?) Unfortunately the 400 seems to be much courser and less resolution than the 200!?

Obviously a tripod and cable release are essential as is an A4 peice of matt black card! Set the camera to Bulb and whilst holding the card in front of the lens press the shutter. Wait 3-5 seconds then remove the card for your desired exposure time (max 20 secs for the pole down to about 10 secs for celestial equator 90 degs from the pole). After the exposure hold the card back in front of the lens and then release the shutter cable. If you want star trails use the same method but set the exposure from 15 mins upwards. This is where a low (100-200ASA) film comes in. If it's too high then you'll capture way too many stars & the photo will look very confusing!

Persuer has already given the equipment used for his M42 Orion Nebula shot which I think has been taken with the camera mounted on top of a telescope (?) with a motor drive so the camera/telescope will track the stars at precisely the correct speed.

The stars themselves won't over expose the film but they will loose their colour and just appear white if left too long!

What you will need to do though is find a really dark place to shoot from! Most of my photos have been taken from dark spots where I can't see my hand in front of my face let alone the camera and a red light torch is essential! (but even I still get light pollution esp with cars in the distance on main bear!)

Let us know how you get on!

pursuer said:
I have a 10" skywatchwer on an EQ-6 mount, but the weather around here hasn't been cooperating at all lately :(

Same here! Been waiting nearly a month now for clear skys! :x We did get some good nights a few weeks ago but the full moon was out limiting anything but lunar stuff! :x

Most reactions

Back