Colt in the shadows (Critique please)

Nuts4CorgiButts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is the first time I've shot with this style in mind and would appreciate any pointers and corrections you could offer.
1 Yr Colt, Gambler
1487380090841.jpg
1487380095857.jpg
1487380104515.jpg
1487380110485.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

An interesting method. I kind of like the first one but the shadow (colt's head) bothers me a little. The second, for me, gets a bit lost in the dark. I've done one of these type of shots but I used lighting (I shot it with film).

A lot of folks will look but never comment on anything. I don't comment that much, myself.

An interesting method. I kind of like the first one but the shadow (colt's head) bothers me a little. The second, for me, gets a bit lost in the dark. I've done one of these type of shots but I used lighting (I shot it with film).
I think I'll be bringing some primitive lighting with me next time. I agree with his harsh shadows, hoping a little help from some structured light will fix that. Thank you for your input.

I quite like the first, but I would suggest cropping most of the back half of the horse; the bright white patch on the back pulls the eye away from the head, and it doesn't really (IMO) add to the image.

The last frame is hurt by the cropping off of the feet of the horse and the girl.

Photos are really grey and snapshot like. Try to trim out extraneous details and focus on the real point of the image.

Photos are really grey and snapshot like. Try to trim out extraneous details and focus on the real point of the image.
Could you expand on this?

I live with an Equestrian photographer so I see horse photos every day *LOL* She bounces ideas off me and has me critique her work and try to provide a fresh eye.

Image 1: the Negative space area never really gets black, the horse's head is casting weird shadow on the body. Horse's body language is awkward and the horse is looking away and making a face.
Image 2: better but again the negative black space doesn't get to proper black and it looks greyish. You cut off the hooves. Horse's body casting weird shadows on back leg.
Image 3: it's basically the raw version of Image 1. Don't think I didn't notice.
Image 4: it's image 2 hahahah but the original

I live with an Equestrian photographer so I see horse photos every day *LOL*
Image 1: the Negative space area never really gets black, the horse's head is casting weird shadow on the body. Horse's body language is awkward and the horse is looking away and making a face.
Image 2: better but again the negative black space doesn't get to proper black and it looks greyish. You cut off the hooves. Horse's body casting weird shadows on back leg.
Image 3: it's basically Image 1 isn't it? But not retouched and blackened.
Thank you. I'll be posting my next attempt in about a week and would love to know how I do with the improvements.

I live with an Equestrian photographer so I see horse photos every day *LOL*
Image 3: it's basically Image 1 isn't it? But not retouched and blackened.
Thank you. I'll be posting my next attempt in about a week and would love to know how I do with the improvements.

Go look at the work of other Equestrian photographers. See how they create their images and feel.

Most reactions

Back