Come into my parlor (graphic if very sensitive)

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The weather was beautiful and it took no time to reel of a hundred or so shots of this guy on his plant while having a cold beer by the beach. However, to keep a long story short here is just the beginning and the end :)

crab_spider_02.jpg

crab_spider_04.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tim

I've seen these in different colours, depending on what plant they were waiting on. Are they different species, do they have the ability to change colour, or are they fairly transparent?

What is that thing? Looks like some kind of spider but with only 4 legs? I can picture that gross tic-like belly growing hugely as it sucks the blood out of the moth, gross!

Nice find though!

That's no moth, that's a butterfly.

I had one of those little spider things once, it was green.

I really like the second shot. And maybe a tighter crop would work better for the first, but I'm not sure. Nice series all the same. Good stuff.

I've seen these in different colours, depending on what plant they were waiting on. Are they different species, do they have the ability to change colour, or are they fairly transparent?

Thats interesting, i had to look it up and you are right they do?!?! http://www.everythingabout.net/articles/biology/animals/arthropods/arachnids/spiders/crab_spider/

it explains why there were so many different ones with different colours but the same morphology

crab_spider_08.jpg

crab_spider_05.jpg

crab_spider_06.jpg

crab_spider_07.jpg

Thanks TrickyRic i think they use those front four for grabbing their prey and the rest for hanging on

Kyuss you are dead right there

Trenton Romulox yes i think a tighter crop would work better too, i got distracted by the kind of psychedelic background so didnt really cut anything out :).

AmberA100 i would love to find one of those things, i think they hunt in almost the same way, so they could well be compeditors? I did see some mantids but only the ordinary brown and green european kinds.

thanks for all the comments.

tim

Thanks very much for the link.

Number 1 in that new series is brilliant, I love the sense of impending doom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back