Commander mode on D80

hawee99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure why I also accidently posted this under General shop talk for business, but can anyone help set my D80 in commander mode so I can wirelessly sync the SB800, I can't seem to find it in the book thanks!

If it's the same as on D200 it's under custom settings "e3 - Built in Flash" should default to TTL, set it to C.

crap I still don't see it. This is driving me crazy. I must just be overlooking it. Like when you lose your TV remote, then get so frustrated you just go to bed to find it under your pillow.

I did it once and forgot how I did it. Even harder was getting it out of commander mode. I finally had to remove all the batteries and reboot the camera. Since then, I've given up and now just use a flash synch extension cord.

damn i can't believe it's that hard hahahahahahaha that sucks

If I am not mistaken, Nikon has an instructional DVD on way's to use their flash units available. It probably goes into more depth on your question and more.

I havent used mine in commander mode for awile, but this should work:

Go to the menu, Custom tab (with the pencil) then go to # 22 "Built In Flash" set from TTL to C commander mode. Then it should be ready to go, Group A and group B are set to TTL by default.

As for setting up the flash unit itself....Don't know about that one, I think it should pick it up automagicly. There is a way to make the SB800 a commander so a sb600 could flash off of the sb600 via wireless. At least thats what I understood the salelman was saying.

Really, it's not that hard. Just flip through your menus untill you find your flash mode, go into that menu, and set it to commander. pop the flash up, set your speedlight aas slave, done. I think it's easier than setting up studio stobes becuase speedlights have TTL, and you don't have to use PC cords.

The PC sync has to be the worst plug EVER invented. It's so unreliable and finiky, it's not even funny.

herehere. Pity the commander mode works via the flash. I have at times had to come up with some creative solutions for when the flash was substantially out of line of sight of the camera :)

well sh!t. my commander pencil menu only goes to 10#!! I'm not sure why. I ahve been on the run so much....I need to check out the mentioned video, read my manuel more I guess. I know the cable will be better, but I just wanted to mess around with the new 800 and the wireless setting. I am worried about that pencil menu only going to 10 though and people keep mentioning it higher....hmmmmmm

I am worried about that pencil menu only going to 10 though and people keep mentioning it higher....hmmmmmm

Yea there should be like close to 30 different settings I think. You might want to try Nikon customer service.

wow, this is being so much harder than it needs to be..

ok, in your set up menu (the wrench), make sure your CSM menus are set to detailed, not simple.

Now you'll have more options and you'll be able to do this.

wow, this is being so much harder than it needs to be..

smug alert!!! hahahahahahaha
but yea thanks, got the menu off simple. Nice

Thanks for all your responses

Most reactions

Back