Comments on the Nikkor Af-S Zoom 28-70 2.8

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Jennie, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Jennie

Jennie TPF Noob!

Just wondering if anyone had this lens and what they think of it. I am thinking of adding this to my kit. (D200)

Thanks
    Jennie

2. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been looking at getting that lens too... and sice were on the subject, another part to the question.

All Nikon AF-S lenses can be used with the full framed D3 correct?

3. XJBaylor

XJBaylor TPF Noob!

As long as they are not DX lenses, then yes. And the 28-70 is a classic on a FF sensor. A wonderful lens all around. Slightly prone to flare, but tack sharp, even great for portraits.

Keith

4. itoncool

itoncool TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you can put every DX lenses on an FX (D3) mount as well, it will transfer your view like a DX (1.5 crop factor) automatically, but the Mega Pixels will reduce to 5.1MP.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    28-70 is not very wide on the wide side. Would make for a nice all rounder and portrait lens though. Especially considering the price of the 17-55 f/2.8 :er:

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For DX, the 17-55 would be a much more intelligent choice. And considering that the 24-70 is less than a month away, smaller, lighter, sharper, and 4mm wider, if you can wait, go for that. If you need to shoot something today, than nevermind.

Walk into a camera supply store that would have both lenses and use them. 28mm is not wide on DX bodies, 17 is.

7. Jennie

Jennie TPF Noob!

Thank-you so much for your help, still deciding!! I am in no rush so maybe I will wait for the 24-70! Any suggestions on a good supplier?

8. XJBaylor

XJBaylor TPF Noob!

Yes, in that sense they will work, I realize that. What I was trying to get across as simply as possible is that afs does not denote FX compatibility. There is no point in buying a 17-55 if you know that you will be quickly upgrading to a D3.

To the OP - If I were you I would wait for the 24-70 to come out. See if any 28-70 lenses show up on the used market. If you get a good deal you could buy that and put some money towards another lens (17-35?)