Comming Back?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by YoungPic, May 5, 2007.

1. YoungPic

YoungPic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ive noticed recently in the forum that alot of people are asking if film is worth it anymore? or saying that they love their film cameras, and i repetly here people saying that film is thrown to the wayside sometimes, well with all this talk im thinking that film might have a comeback, and im not saying that film will over take digital because that will never happen, but film can come back in the way of the average hobbiest. i personally prefer film because it feels like you actually took the picture,instead of it being saved to a card. i guess the whole point of this is do you think film is making a bit of a come back or am i just looney?

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All I have to say is that if film were really dying, would we even be having these discussions?

3. CDG

CDG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A looney, like me, most people here, and everyone on the Medium Format forum. :)

I'm 19 years old. I've shot film all my life, and I'm not giving that up. I'm not a digital hater - I used to own an older digital camera before it was stolen. :( I love photographs, I love digital darkroom, and I love chemicals that are bad for your health. :)

Seriously, film is making a comeback in some ways, and in some ways it was never dead. Look at the Super 8mm cinema crowd out there. I'm amazed at the intensity of their loyalty to those old movie cameras. Look at our black and white photographers- most of them are still using film. A lot of the younger generation such as my own is becomming more interested in older technologies, and increasingly disillusioned with what the present situation is offering us. I swear, I talk to more people when I shoot my old TLRs around campus because they're so fascinated by such an old school technology. See the look on their face when I told them I rebuilt the lens on the one, and the shutter on the other. :lol: Even got a date from using an old TLR, and my dashingly good looks and charming personality of course... I just got my first cinema camera a few days back and I can't wait to see how I can get into production with that (regular "double" 8mm)

So if the fact that young people are getting more interested in these old cameras and film counts as a comeback,I'd have to say yes, although I would argue that it never really went away fully in the first place. :)

4. YoungPic

YoungPic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    heres why i think its coming back, im 16, i got a DLSR as my first real camera, and i didnt understand it, i just went to auto mode and started to click away, then when i got my spot everything chage di elatrned because i had to or else i was wasting $5 film, so my belif is if your just starting get and SLR first then upgrade

5. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    back in 1999 when the world announced that film would be entirely dead in two years, i vowed to not engage in discussions regarding the 'death of' or 'rebirth of' film, so i shan't.

statement: it never left.

6. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Photos OK to edit
    Film never went away to begin with. I think many of us have found that film is more satisfying than film. Likewise many people get their jollies with digital.

7. lasershot

lasershot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    IMO, digital is just coming to be to convient for todays lifestyle!

I'm not saying film is going out the door yet or that its coming back into the house....

8. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can understand it. There is no comparison between the charm and style of an older film camera (not to mention a TLR!) and the "vulgarity" of a digital.

Now more seriously, I agree with those saying that it's not coming back because it just never left. Other thing is that it is not the mass' or consumer's medium anymore. But for those who like photography and not simply having memories of important occasions (you know: taking pictures vs making pictures), film is an attractive alternative to digital, two mediums that not necessarily oppose to each other. And if you ask me, film is much more attractive.

And then we also have users who some day left film to later come back to it and enjoy it perhaps more than ever. But this would simply confirm the coexistence of the two.

9. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    my take on this is that although film never left, it DID hugely decrease in popularity. (please nobody argue with me on this because you know its true) of course for people who only use film, it didnt decrease in popularity. I feel like its just as much of an art to use digital as it is to use film though.... kind of like i think that its just as much of a movie if a director used a digital camera instead of a film one to shoot a movie. I mean, what do i care HOW it was made, as long as it was made well...

10. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Photos OK to edit
    Hey, I'm doing my part to keep Kodak and Fuji in business!:lol:

11. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    but so goes everything in history. one can plot curves and see the peaks and valleys in everything ever 'invented' and 'utilized.'

introduction, expansion, contraction and periods of level activity. happens with every widget ever made.

12. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Photos OK to edit
    Hmmmm... When I took econ it was cell phones and tractors.