comp to comp file transfer?

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
what do i need to do if i want to connect my laptop to my desktop to transfer files directly?
both are pcs, one running xp pro the other xp home...

Easiest way is to get a cross over cable and transfer them via the network connections.

Need to make sure you have the IP addresses in the same subnet.

ie.
laptop 192.168.0.2
desktop 192.168.0.3

That's if you have a router connecting the two computers.

If you don't, you can use a cross over patch cable to setup a peer to peer network and share files that way.

God all these geeky tech talk..... it's sends a thrill up my spine!! :p

heheh. ok, i do have a router- so how exactly do i go about connecting? where, for instance, do i find ip address of each comp?
thanks everyone :)

The quickest way i always transfer files from one pc to another was by connecting both of them up using different screennames on an instant messaging program. Then just use the file transfer function there.

ok then, i have an embarrassing admission to make. i have not used an instant messenger since icq first came out about 5 yrs ago. can you recommend which one i should go with for this purpose?

Geronimo said:
terri said:
God all these geeky tech talk..... it's sends a thrill up my spine!! :p

Shall we spice things up with a little TCP header talk. :p

Oh you mean the TCP/IP protocol which crossed paths with the Wide Area Network and crashed the motherboard of a Pentium 4 processor?? :)

My bits enter the physical layer slowly assembling into frames in the Data Link layer... ooh so hot... I'm getting warmed up and add header information creating packets in the network layer. I can't hold it any longer and my packets become segments sending that data all the way to the top of the OSI model.

was it good for you terri?

Maybe I should discuss WLAN, cause mine reaches farther then anyone elses. Plus it can go anywhere and satisfy your needs. :p

Most reactions

Back