Compact Self-Standing Monopod?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by NeutralNovice, May 8, 2008.

1. NeutralNovice

NeutralNovice TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello! I've been a lurker for a while and now I have a new camera and more time! :) Maybe someone can help me with this..

Does anyone know where I can find a self-standing monopod that is compact (Under 17" when folded)?

Or, as an alternative, a monopod in which you can buy an adapter that will make it free-standing?

I would like to have one of these so I can use it directly in front of me in cramped stadium seating. I would use a tripod but space is pretty limited. I would try using my hands, but I don't really have a steady hand. :(

The smallest one I have found thus far is 21" when folded, which won't fit in my backpack. The particular event that I am going to does not allow tripods and even though they say nothing about monopods, I'd like to fit one in my bag to slip it past security.

No, I am not a criminal or anything, I just want to take advantage of the loophole. :)

Thanks!

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Generally those free standing monopods are pretty awfully unstable. The base is narrow and they are generally tall. They sway back and forth in even breezes.

Here's a trick that I've used in the past. monopod bungee corded to something. Perhaps a handrail or the seat infront of you.

3. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

What is wrong with holding the monopod? Did i miss something?

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Its a similar loophole to art galleries - no tripods, but nothing about monopods - mostly, as you say, because of space.
    As for a free standing monopod I think you might be out of luck there. From what I have gathered the monopods with small legs at the base simply don't have the stability to freestand (especially with a camera on top). The legs might be a little more stable that a point but its not a huge difference. Couple that with the crowds in a statium and I would not even trust my camera of a tripod to stand free.
    I think your just going to have to bite the bullet and hold onto your camera for the game

5. NeutralNovice

NeutralNovice TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I tend to have shaky hands.. the image stabilization in my camera is not working as well as other cameras... for now at least. (Casio EX-F1)

I also wanted to take video footage of the activity in the field in HD and again, my hands tend to be shaky. I would bring a tripod but they're not allowed so I think a free-standing monopod would be the best compromise.

EDIT: btw, i love this forum already! :) i got an answer in figuratively a split second! :) Thanks for your advice so far!