Compare HDR

PNA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Someone, please explain what HDR is/does to a digital photo…..does Photomatix give better results than PScs2 or is it the ease of use?

What about just the tone mapping plug-in for cs2?

Thanks,
Paul

HDR combines bracketed exposures into one image. Through software, it combines the lighter portions of what would be dark areas in a photo together with darker portions of lighter areas. The software knows what images to use for what portions based upon the EXIF data. It basically puts the over-exposed portions of shadow areas together with under-exposed highlights.

If not done correctly, HDR photos can look artificial.

I prefer Photomatix over CS2 because not only is it easier, but it's more contrasty and retains more detail than CS2.

Thanks for the explinations.....

I prefer Photomatix over CS2 because not only is it easier, but it's more contrasty and retains more detail than CS2.

I saw what you did with your motorcycle thread.....very nice.

However, could your HDR be accomplished in cs2 with it's HDR? or even with Photomatix's tone mapping plug-in for cs2?

I'm deciding to purchase at least the tone mapping program from Photomaix.

I have not used the tone mapping plug in, and i've tried to use the CS2 HDR tool and the results were not good. I'm sure that if I REALLY knew my way around CS2, I could have similar results, but otherwise no. I used more than just photomatix on that motorcycle. All my HDR's for that matter go though a process that not only involves Photomatix, but Lightroom and CS2 in a step by step process.

I recommend the stand alone version of photomatix over the plug in. It's only $30 more and most likely gives you more control and power even if you have to switch between programs.

For anyone who is a student, you can get the full version of Photmatix for around $30.

Wondering if anyone here has used Qtpfsgui (lovey name isn't it) for HDR? It's freeware, so the price is good, although the academic prcing on Photomatix Pro is really enticing.

http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back