Comparing lenses?

Fred Kim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I'm here to ask things about general knowledge of lense.

But to be specific, I want to know how the NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II lens and the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D compare.

Be as general as possible or specific, I dont care, I just want to know some differences about these lens.

I want to know the difference of the outcome of each photo through each lens.

Thanks

Oh, and right now I have a 18-135mm nikkor lens, and I was wondering if the lens listed above have a greater depth of field.

Can someone explain how focal length relates to depth of field when it comes to lenses?

My question was how focal length of lens relates with depth of field, not how aperture relates with depth of field.

Well the closer your subject is the narrower the depth of field. So your DOF at 3 feet will be much narrower than at 20 feet.

My question was how focal length of lens relates with depth of field, not how aperture relates with depth of field.

I know what you asked, and what I posted. I suggest you re-read that thread, and take note that the example pictures I shot at the bottom were all with the aperture fixed at f/2.8. Only the focal length changed from 28mm-200mm.

Don't just give up reading the thread title or you'll never get anywhere on this forum. :wink:

I know what you asked, and what I posted. I suggest you re-read that thread, and take note that the example pictures I shot at the bottom were all with the aperture fixed at f/2.8. Only the focal length changed from 28mm-200mm.

Don't just give up reading the thread title or you'll never get anywhere on this forum. :wink:

Yea I've previously read that thread twice.
Sorry for thinking that it wouldn't help.

So basically, the smaller the focal length, the greater the depth of view?

And would it be a good move to buy a nikkor 50mm f/1.8d if i have a nikkor 18-135mm?
What will be the advantages between the two?

I think the problem here is you are comparing apples to oranges. One lens is a zoom lens, the other is a prime focus. The only time they would be comparable is when the zoom lens is set on 50mm.

Offhand, I'd say that the prime is probably better glass and will give you a sharper image at the same aperture than the zoom lens. The prime lens will also be usable in lower light conditions than the zoom. On the other hand, the zoom lens will give you much more versatility than the prime lens, assuming you are not trying to photograph in low light.

So basically, the smaller the focal length, the greater the depth of view?

Yes. Because the out of focus subjects are rendered larger / smaller for long and short focal lengths respectively the apparent depth of field changes too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back