Comparing Nikon shutter sound

The only thing I've noticed is how wimpy Canons shutters sound compared to my Nikon

Actually theres quite a number of cameras that are completely silent (Fuji X100) or offer an electronic shutter thats completely silent (Sony A7s, Fuji X-T1, ironically the newest of the X100 as well, the X100t. Well, it gives access to 1/32000 sec). The later has a rolling shutter problem, though - most sensors take quite a while to read.

Or my Ricoh GRD4. It makes very few sounds. Often my friends didnt notice when I photographed them with it. Additionally, of course, its tiny.

Actually theres quite a number of cameras that are completely silent (Fuji X100) or offer an electronic shutter thats completely silent (Sony A7s, Fuji X-T1, ironically the newest of the X100 as well, the X100t. Well, it gives access to 1/32000 sec). The later has a rolling shutter problem, though - most sensors take quite a while to read.

Or my Ricoh GRD4. It makes very few sounds. Often my friends didnt notice when I photographed them with it. Additionally, of course, its tiny.

The electronic curtain shutter available at live view mode of the D810 makes it also completely silent, at the expense of draining more battery life, because of the live view use. But this can be handy in certain situations, not only to avoid camera shake, but also sound, if/when needed.

Hmm.

I havent heard anything of a D810 pure electronic shutter, and neither does Google.

The D810 has an electronic first curtain, but the second curtain still is purely mechanical. While this will be a lot less loud, it wont be completely silent.

You're right, my confusion.
I'm referring to the D810 electronic front-curtain shutter.
My bad!!

The only thing I've noticed is how wimpy Canons shutters sound compared to my Nikon
Really? I had a Nikon E5700 and an 8800, they were completely silent!

Dude, we talk about system cameras with focal-plane shutters.

Compact cameras have central shutters and those can be very silent, down to unhearable.

Dude, we talk about system cameras with focal-plane shutters.

Compact cameras have central shutters and those can be very silent, down to unhearable.
LOL! He just said Nikon. My Nikon film SLR camera had a fairly quiet shutter too. The annoying one is my Canon rebel because of it's high pitch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back