Comparison of lens and quality

FauzzyD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I have had a look at some lens and know little about the in depth knowledge of lens.
The two lens being
50mm f/1.8
50mm f1.2 L

So from the specifications there are differences. One if them being more diaphragm blades and having a better aperture. Apart from the two what main differences would there be? I do know that the diameter is larger too. Be nice [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is also quiet the cost difference. I haven't worked with the 1.2 but the 1.8 is slow to auto focus-not usually an issue for what it's used for since you can go to manual easily.

The two, while both being 50mm are quite different lenses. Canon actually had 3 50mm lenses in their lineup. The f1.8, f1.4 and f1.2.
The f1.8 is called the Thrifty fifty or Nifty fifty depending on who you talk to. It is cheaply made with lots of plastic including the lens mount, has decent optics and is a pretty useable lens. It's down side is the quality of the bokeh with it's 7 blade construction.

The f1.4 is a quality lens, although and older design, from Canon with better optics, USM focus motor, 8 blade construction a far sturdier build. The bokeh from this lens it quite acceptable and is a fine sharp lens. Canon has just announced that they will be coming out with a new f1.4 in the near future with IS.

The f1.2 is a specialty lens in the Canon world. The glass quality is next to none and it produces a creamy bokeh. It has several drawbacks. Price being one. It has a relatively slow focus rate and is soft at the corners when shot wide open. Most lenses tend to be a bit soft, especially at the corners when shot wide open, however the f1.2 is especially so. It is a good studio lens but not really a good all around lens in that range.

The new f1.4 I believe is going to be a direct challenge to the Sigma 5omm f1.4 that is highly regarded. Me, I have the Canon f1.4 and am quite satisfied with it for my needs.

The venerable 50mm 1.8 has been dramatically revamped with the release of the STM version. That version has the new focus motor and is MUCH faster to focus than the old version. Beware of the manual focus, though, as it's SUPER touchy. I can't talk about the 50 1.2 or 1.4 as I've never had one, but I've bench tested the 50mm 1.8 and it outperformed a 24-70 f2.8 II.

While being cheap, Canon EF 50mm. 1.8 ii is one superior lens that everyone using Canon needs to have. It costs less than 50$ and is small and lightweight so you can put it in your pocket.

The Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II has what may be the ugliest, jittery and nervous looking bokeh of any camera maker lens sold today because it only has 5, straight, sharp edged aperture blades. Note that Canon discontinued that lens. It became an embarrassment.

Plus, the EF 50 f/1.8 II has such lousy build quality it often breaks into 2 large irreparable pieces when dropped from not very high, and even onto relatively soft surfaces, like grass.

The Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II has what may be the ugliest, jittery and nervous looking bokeh of any camera maker lens sold today because it only has 5, straight, sharp edged aperture blades. Note that Canon discontinued that lens. It became an embarrassment.
Plus, the EF 50 f/1.8 II has such lousy build quality it often breaks into 2 large irreparable pieces when dropped from not very high, and even onto relatively soft surfaces, like grass.

LOL !
The 50mm 1.8 II is actually one of best $50 lens ever made
But spend a little more and get a refurbished 50mm 1.8 STM for $89

look at that ugly 50 1.8 II bokeh !

16724571151_d66f45445c_b.jpg

Last edited:
The newer 1.8 STM is definitely the way to go.

I have the 50 1.2 and love it. When you're shooting in lower light that extra stop becomes valuable!!

I also used the Nikon 50mm 1.4 and that too was amazing, but HUGE!

Most reactions

Back