Compass Confusion

pez

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
19447791869_6114d479db_o.jpg

I misplaced the top compass years ago, and eventually replaced it with the one on the bottom. Recently, the original compass turned up. I'm pretty certain that the red pointer used to point North!!

I have the same Suunto. I haven't used it in years. I'll go find mine and check it and get back to you. Wasn't there an adjustment for delineation?

I have the same Suunto. I haven't used it in years. I'll go find mine and check it and get back to you. Wasn't there an adjustment for delineation?
Neither of these had a dedicated adjustment for declination, but you could simply turn the dial to adjust. I used to backpack and was also a geologist in a previous life, so I used compasses a lot (pre-GPS), but I never had one reverse polarity...

I just checked mine and the red goes North. I've heard of reversals. Very strange.

I have a different model than you - a Suunto M3G. There's a little screw on the back side of the ring. The unit came with what looks like a tiny screw driver or you can use a jeweler's screwdriver. You then turn the screw to offset the declination so when the needle is inside the double lines now offset by the declination, N faces True North rather than Magnetic North. I only have 13 degrees here in New Jersey. But it can vary a lot more than that in other parts of the country and world as I'm sure you know.

Reactions: pez

Most reactions

Back