Compatible Lenses

snowthedirtbub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D40 with a the kit lens, and I'm taking a photo class but I need a film camera. I have found a Nikon 4004s for a great deal but it comes with no lens. Would my D40 lens work with the 4004 lens. I know the D40 is backwards compatible but could it work the other way around?

And is that a good film camera? Thanks for the help, I'm new to this.

Edit: My bad I thought I was posting in the film section, but I guess it could work here also.

Which 'kit' lens do you have?

I'm guessing that no, that lens will not work properly with any film camera. The reason is that it's probably designed to work exclusively with 'crop sensor' cameras. The image circle would not be big enough to cover a frame of 35mm film.

I'd recommend looking for a 50mm lens (or a different camera that comes with a 50mm lens).

Yes, it will mount. Yes, you can take photos with it. However, there are caveats:

1. You can only realistically use the P and S modes, since the body does not "know" how to set the aperture on G lenses from the control interfaces. You can use A and M modes, but only with the smallest aperture of the lens.

2. The n4004 only works with the screwdriver-type AF, so the lens will be manual focus only.

3. The D40's kit lens is a DX lens. It works great and is quite sharp for its price when used on a DX body. I have personally used on a film camera myself, and it seems to work from 24-55mm with no visible vignetting, but... you will be using a lot more of the corners on the DX lens with a film camera, so expect fuzziness everywhere but the very centre.

Take Big Mike's and get a 50mm lens. It may be all you'll ever need on a film camera. A brand new Nikon 50mm AF-D lens (one that does AF on the n4004) is less than $150 MSRP brand new.

Thanks for the answers they were very helpful, and were explained nicely, even I could understand them. I couldn't find the rep, so I'm guessing this site doesn't have one?

Another question, I was digging around my dads closet looking for some camera supplies, and I came across a Minolta xg1 and 2 lenses. Unfortunately the camera doesn't work the shutter stays open, but the lenses are in perfect condition. I was doing some reading and the Xg1 takes a Minolta Minolta MD bayonet Mount (I'm pretty sure at least) but I haven't been able to find any other cameras that use that mount, any suggestions on good film cameras that use that mount, or is that mount too old, I read somewhere that they changed that mount when they started using auto focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back