Completely Clueless...

mad_malteaser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've seen so many posts about lenses and I stare at them blankly wondering what the hell everyone's going on about.

I've got a Finepix S5000 and I'm interesting in getting some more versatility out of it. I've looked on the Fuji website and there doesn't seem to be a lot in the way of lenses from them. Where else can I look? Are there other lenses that would work just as well with this camera? And also, what should a beginner like me be going for?

Easy speak optional - though preferred! :lol:

For a start, I cant understand lenses either.
As for the lense problem, try jessops.co.uk or search it on google.

Although...I thought the finepix series was compact cameras?

Artemis said:
For a start, I cant understand lenses either.
As for the lense problem, try jessops.co.uk or search it on google.

Although...I thought the finepix series was compact cameras?

There's nothing compact about this...

S5000.jpg

:lol: You're right though, it is a compact but based on an SLR. It came with an adapter ring and apparently there are lenses/attachments for it which I've yet to find. The Fuji website has not been much help.

A Review

Your camera appears to have a fixed lens. It's SLR-like but not a real SLR camera.

There are lens attachments for these types of cameras but not many and they are usually not very good optically.

If you want true versatility, trade it in for a real SLR camera. Not to mention the other benefits of DSLR; like a bigger sensor for example.

Big Mike said:
It's SLR-like but not a real SLR camera.

I see what you are saying (most SLRs have interchangable lenses), but the only criteria to make a camera a SLR is to have one lens that you view the scene and take the picture through, and a mirror to make this possible.

for the S5000- you can buy a telephoto conversion lense (i dont have much details on that one that i can remember) and a wide angle conversion- the wide angle is a 0.79x thats as far as you can go with lenses on these cameras- if you want more digital slr is the way to go

Only crazies like myself go nuts over having many different lenses. The majority of pictures are taken with a 35 or 50mm lens. Most people settle down with one quality zoom or a 50mm lens. :wink:

railman44 said:
Only crazies like myself go nuts over having many different lenses. The majority of pictures are taken with a 35 or 50mm lens. Most people settle down with one quality zoom or a 50mm lens. :wink:
Mr Burns... that was 30 years ago :)

Settle down with one lens? You've gotta be kiddin!

I'm slowly but surely building up my connection from 12 to 320mm... and then maybe a 500 mm prime :wink:

IMO 5 lenses is a minimum :p

Hertz van Rental said:
Have you not yet come to the realisation that photography is better than sex? :sillysmi:
Well of course. If you have $$$, you can get a nice big telephoto thing on your cam... and unlike the real thing it is not limited.

DocFrankenstein said:
railman44 said:
Mr Burns... that was 30 years ago :)

Settle down with one lens? You've gotta be kiddin!

I'm slowly but surely building up my connection from 12 to 320mm... and then maybe a 500 mm prime :wink:

IMO 5 lenses is a minimum :p

Every photographer should, at some time in their life, limit themselves to a single focal length for an extended period of time (until you can snatch the pebbles from Master Po's hand). It's a valuable learning experience.

DocFrankenstein said:
You mean to shoot with a 50mm prime for some time?

That's what most folks would probably do, but if 35mm or 85mm is more your fancy, then go for it. and if you can resist the temptation of the zoom lens, then there is no reason you couldn't just set a zoom to the focal length of your study.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back