Completely new to Portrait Photography (9 photos)

russrom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Virginia Beach Va.; Jacksonville Fl.; Fallon Nv.
Website
www.ddpva.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have recently purchased a portable Portrait "studio" and have just begain to mess with it. I need to do some tweaking but thats what we are here for. I would greatly appreciate any advise you can give. (sorry 10 photos)

Orange11.jpg

Orange10.jpg

Orange7.jpg

Orange3.jpg

Light3.jpg

Light2.jpg

Blue8.jpg

Blue5.jpg

Blue3.jpg

10.This one is blurry but I really like the pose.
BillJen2.jpg

Looks like you are trying plenty of different things...that's good.

In the first few, the light looks a little harsh...espeically because it's showing up as bright reflections on his face.

One thing I noticed...is that in most of the shots...their eyes are too dark...especially hers. It would be nice to light up the face a bit...but it really helps to see catch lights in your model's eyes.

Keep up the experimentation.

There are a couple of hotspots in some of them (3 and 4). I think I prefer the ones with the blue background. I like the pose in #10 as well. When posing people, remember to have them drop their chins a tad (the girl in #10 especially). With the guy, I would have him stand as tall and straight as he could because his neck is sort of being lost (the collar doesn't help). Keep practicing...these are good. You'll get even better:)

I'm no expert..just learning also but I have found that moving the subjects (if you have room) farther away or forward from the background helps me alot with the wrinkles and such...also using a larger apeture gives me a better blur on the background...less editing out wrinkles in PP...just my 2cents though..I think you did a very nice job for your first try..keep it up! Aloha, Kim

It's ok to have shadows. You can adjust the lightness/darkness of the shadows with ratio of fill light to key light. The cause of Mike's comment is that you have too much fill - close to 1:1 or maybe all of 1:1. Turn down the fill light a little next time. Outstanding first attempt.

Thanks Kim, I didn't really have the room to move the couple but I see how it would help.

Fred, With the limited space I have do you think that just dropping one of my lights would be wise or should I just adjust? Thanks for the help.

Well done so far. Just as Mike said, their faces are too dark sometimes. Make sure the light coming from the back is not lighter than the one in front. Put the main light to the right or left of their faces. I guess you used indirect light as well in some photos. I wouldn't recommend that. Light from above is not the best for portraits like these either, it's better for artistic photos. And I know, the background is a matter of taste of course. But if possible, move people further away from it so it's a bit blurry. My suggestions. It helps most to try out and compare the results. Make sure you remember what you did so if you like a shot, you can do it again :)). It won't take long and you'll know exactly what you're doing and can do it really well :).

russrom said:
...do you think that just dropping one of my lights would be wise...?

Absolutely. It's very apparent in images 7. 8 and 9. The main light is too high. I think the lighting ratio is OK here, but the exposure seems a bit deep (under)... just a BIT. There same three would benefit from a little more power from the background light (I can see you didn't use one, but these really need it).

Good start. It takes some time and doing. You're on your way!

Have fun.

Pete

Swiss; Christie, Thank you!

I have recently learned about bouncing light so hopefully that will help out as well, I can't tell you how much everyone has helped. I have actually started a notebook and I have written this all down. I am excited about my next shot at this.

Christie, I didnt really notice the main light issue untill you pointed it out. Thanks.

You are well on your way, However in image #6 her right hand, IMHO should be placed on his chest or his upper left arm, it is just hanging there in a arkward position.

Stay after it and learn.

Tom H

Most reactions

Back