complicated portrait

smyth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have this idea for a portrait that I want to do. Here in Ottawa there is a great place where the road splits into two and goes separate ways, so with a long exposure the lights of the traffic would look really cool, but at the same time I would like to have my friend in the photo standing still, making it look like all the traffic is wizzing by him.

So I thought here is how I might do it, but I'm not sure.

Set up camera on tripod, and take a long exposure showing just the traffic without him in the shot, then cover the lens, my friend moves in front of the camera and I hit him with a shot of the flash, and then we would end the exposure.

Is this the best way to do this? Will I get the desired effect? please help.

Depending on how much light is present where he is, you may not even need to do that. If the cars are going pretty quick, it's shouldn't taketoo long of an exposure to get a pleasing blur, then just have the flash set to expose him. Rear Curtain I guess, incase it hits any of the cars too.

Camera on tripod, 2 shots... one long exposure, one short and with flashes. Your friend will (obviously) be in the shot with the flashes and short duration... unless you can train him to be reeeeeeeeeeeally still for long periods of time. :)

So where in Ottawa are you talking? I was there a couple weeks ago on business.

Photoshop and a croma screen!

There is no point to putting your friend at risk needlessly!!

Just match the WB of your friend to the long exposure (both in RAW obviously).

There is no point to putting your friend at risk needlessly!!

One would assume that his friend is standing at the center median of the "Y" in a safe location, definitely no need to place anyone in danger for this shot!

I would say use the flash to expose for him, might want to narrow the beam of the flash using the zoom feature or by using a snoot/grid spot. This will help prevent the light from spilling on the cars. Then I would drag the shutter a little to get a pleasing blur from the headlights/taillights. Be careful though, if any of the headlights hit your lens the shot will be ruined.

One would assume that his friend is standing at the center median of the "Y" in a safe location, definitely no need to place anyone in danger for this shot!

In a perfect world you'd be right. But there is no reason to chance a car loosing control and crashing into the "Y" even if it was because dome drunk so and so was trying to focus on why someone would be standing there and ran him over before the drunk to manage it.

Also, you still have to walk across the freeway to get there.

Plus I'm sure that there are laws regarding pedestrians standing in such places that a kind officer would be more than happy to give written documentation (for a fee ;)) to clarify matters.

It's not a big deal it's just that one screw-up and you are out one friend.

Good friends are hard to come by- do your best to keep them.

I kind of agree with Mike, when in doubt, dont.

This sounds like a really cool idea! You could always pop a flash off to expose him, as well. That would "freeze" him yet the longer exposure would blur the traffic pattern.

This is a common idea, though... my friend was sketching out a very similar idea to do sometime in the near future and I was listening to him do this just this last weekend.

I don't see the need for 2 exposures. Depending on how much blur you want, a 1-2 second exposure isn't hard to stand still for, when you're in the dark, and slow speed sync will freeze him. I would be there wouldn't be any ghosting around him. But it depends on how illuminated the area he is in already is.

I did not say it was the only way... it is one way. It is the way that gives you maximum control over the results too, in case you want to go above a shutter speed that the subject cannot stand still for.

Start your long exposure to get the cars, then trigger an off camera flash to get your friend, and continue the long exposure a few more seconds to soften the flash effect away from your friend

This is a common idea, though... my friend was sketching out a very similar idea to do sometime in the near future and I was listening to him do this just this last weekend.
True. But let's face it, in photography we're all pretty much copying others who came before us. We're just applying slightly different angles, lighting, etc. It's still a great idea!

Last edited:
This really won't be that dangerous, it's quite a large v split, and it is not a highway, it's right downtown and cars would be going at the most 60 km/h (35mph for you down south)

Most reactions

Back