Composite C&C

CorrieMichael

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I think I struggle and suck at making composites look real. I always feel like something is missing but can't quite put my finger on it. What do you think about this one?
IMG_6182cmlogopng.png

I'm no expert at this sort of thing, but what jars with me is that the lighting on the witch and some of the birds does not seem to be as expected given the apparent light source. The position of the witch on the broomstick also seems very contrived and unnatural.

I think it looks pretty good! :smile:

I do agree about the lighting, though. It's not so apparent with the witch, but the color of the birds gives it away. Maybe try to fix their coloring to match?

(Also, if I really nitpick, I can tell that the bird below her shoe is the same as the bird in front of her--if it's not the same bird, they must be twins :allteeth:. Maybe remove one of them?)

To me, the jarring/unnatural part is her pose...Just doesn't look like she's flying to me. Not sure exactly what would need to change? More implied movement, perhaps?

Edit: Maybe place a big fan in front of her or something to make her hair/clothing blow about a bit?

Thanks everyone! I agree with all of the points and something I need to change for the next time! Thanks again!

I always like to warn people that I am picky, so take this with a grain of salt as my only intent is to give you a proper critique. Remember, the more complex an image is the more that can go wrong. This is an extremely complex shot you're trying to pull off and you did a pretty good job all things considered. Most clients would be happy with an image like this, but more professional clients would definitely expect a lot more.

So warning applied here are the points I think that would need to get cleaned up to make this a show stopper:

1a) Apply a global light source. When you composite images the final step should always be applying global lighting to the entire image, this includes a final level of sharpening and even a nearly invisible layer of gaussian noise.

1b) Notice the top most crow by her hat, it should be picking up orange light just like her hat is. The same with the others behind her.

2) Matching movement. If she is flying and the crows are flying there should be an applied level of motion blur to unify all of the objects. I'm not talking a lot either, 1-5%. Just enough for the eye to catch it and not lose much of the sharpness in the image. This only applies to objects that are moving.

3a) Clean your cutouts up! The broom, her foot, many parts of her fabric hanging, her hair, and the hair especially on her back were poorly edited. When a pro looks at a shot like this, it is a composite that will be shot in separate pieces. First the clean slate, which is just the background image with no subject. Then in a home studio environment the subject, this way you can use things like fans. Finally in photoshop all of this is combined to create a flawless piece. The proper way is very complex though so I don't really expect many people to do it. Its just what I recommend.

3b)If I had to guess, you used a soft brush to cut her out. I'm almost positive about this because I can see spots that look like a round brush just cut through.

Hello CorrieMichael, I think its a really good attempt, the composites I've tried have all been a bit pants.
Just to add to Shmes' brilliant advice. The hardest part to master, but also the part that makes it look original is the colour grading of the composite parts, in this case the birds and the witch.They don't really match the golden hue of the rest of the scene.
As far as cutting out is concerned, It's useful to master the pen tool for selections like this and then a slight bit of feathering.

I found the Phlearn Youtube channel useful. They do paid composite tutorials, but a lot of their best tips are in the free Youtube videos they use to lure you in to paying for the full thing. Have a look: Phlearn Photoshop & Photography Tutorials - YouTube

The most important thing is to keep going, because you're almost there.

I always like to warn people that I am picky, so take this with a grain of salt as my only intent is to give you a proper critique. Remember, the more complex an image is the more that can go wrong. This is an extremely complex shot you're trying to pull off and you did a pretty good job all things considered. Most clients would be happy with an image like this, but more professional clients would definitely expect a lot more.

So warning applied here are the points I think that would need to get cleaned up to make this a show stopper:

1a) Apply a global light source. When you composite images the final step should always be applying global lighting to the entire image, this includes a final level of sharpening and even a nearly invisible layer of gaussian noise.

1b) Notice the top most crow by her hat, it should be picking up orange light just like her hat is. The same with the others behind her.

2) Matching movement. If she is flying and the crows are flying there should be an applied level of motion blur to unify all of the objects. I'm not talking a lot either, 1-5%. Just enough for the eye to catch it and not lose much of the sharpness in the image. This only applies to objects that are moving.

3a) Clean your cutouts up! The broom, her foot, many parts of her fabric hanging, her hair, and the hair especially on her back were poorly edited. When a pro looks at a shot like this, it is a composite that will be shot in separate pieces. First the clean slate, which is just the background image with no subject. Then in a home studio environment the subject, this way you can use things like fans. Finally in photoshop all of this is combined to create a flawless piece. The proper way is very complex though so I don't really expect many people to do it. Its just what I recommend.

3b)If I had to guess, you used a soft brush to cut her out. I'm almost positive about this because I can see spots that look like a round brush just cut through.

Thank you thank you!

I actually had planned a levitation type image in our first location....model was too scared so I scrapped the idea....then we moved on to this location and thought I might be able to pull something off like this as a flying witch was one of my intended images. So she was actually standing on the ground. I actually took her out of the image....fixed it up there was a garbage can and a poll so that people couldn't park on the trail.......then I put her back in.....I had to reconstruct her foot and leg so that it looked NOT like she was standing on the ground. Then just adjusted and fixed up from there. Here is my SOOC and then I went from there. Thanks so much for all of your input I agree on all levels and I love the idea of composites so I won't give up...........I swear to you I will get it spot on one day :p Thanks for taking the time to comment
IMG_6182sooc.jpg

I'm playing with composites, too so I'd call this a pretty good effort (about the same level as mine) and join you in giving thanks for the good advice that's been given - which I have duly nicked for my own use! :D

I always try to make sure that the edges of whatever I'm cutting out is a similar color/pattern as where I will be placing the object. That ways when I do move it, I won't have to worry about refining edges and whatnot. This is noticeable on the back of the broom where the swishy stuff is.

What could have helped in a shot like this (if it would have been possible) is letting her stand on a box of some sort so you wouldn't have to cut and drag her way up there.

I like compositing but I hate complexity, so I do all I can to cut down processing to only what is necessary.

Also; those branches at the very top of the frame look really out of place. I'd just get rid of them.

What still jars with me is that she is not actually sitting on the broomstick.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back