Compositing

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by jpenna, Jun 27, 2008.

1. jpenna

jpenna TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For some reason, I really like this candid picture I took of this guy worried about his lack of customers.

Here's my attempt at compositing it (click on image for large version):
    [​IMG]

Is it too fake-looking? Here's a link to the ORIGINAL.

All C&C's appreciated :)

2. altyfc

altyfc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think it looks fake. It just don't seem that exciting/interesting a shot to me.

Had you not said, I wouldn't have detected that's he worried about a lack of customers...

3. Zephrus

Zephrus TPF Noob!

Hey all,

Speaking of compositing, does anyone know of some good books/DVDs/or courses that really get into lighting for, primarily, green screen compositing?

I've been trying forever to find something really good on this, and have currently read Ron Brinkmann's book on Compositing.

I do mostly shots of people in front of green screen. I try to set up the camera angles and lighting to match various pictures that I find from the web (usually from Google Images and the like). But it is VERY hard to get the final composite to look "real" unless the lighting is just perfect. One of the things that I find particularly difficult is simulating outdoor light (direct sunlight) in an indoor studio. My foreground always seems to have that stark, fake look to it in contrast with the background.

I match the gamma levels and black point. Match colors, hues, saturation levels. Try blurring the BG to match the FG and vise versa. It's maddening!I've tried everything I can think of. If any can PLEASE offer me any help on this or point me in a right direction, I would very much appreciate it!!!

4. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Zephrus:

To avoid triggering your brain's "fake" reflex you need to exactly match the lighting of the background image. The forground green screen image must have lighting that is the same color, casts the same shadow edge diffuseness, and same direction. Any mismatch and your brain screams FAKE.

5. agc970

agc970 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i don't think it looks fake at first glance... i think if you really start to look at it for a while, you start to notice something about the sky is just a little off... but i think the only ppl who would notice are other photographers.

i definitely like the picture a lot more after knowing that it was a photo of a guy worried about the lack of customers. otherwise i wouldn't really know what's going on in this photo. i would definitely always try to post the title of this photo along with it for this reason. once you know what it's about, there's definitely an emotion connected to it.

i think you did a good job with this photo though :) keep it up!